Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cleaning this….

Cleaning this….

I picked this up today at an old homes basement. It is a Meyer’s Loader. I am not sure what I will use if for but must say I am intrigued by it. I’ve seen plenty of rust but have never tried to detail/restore anything like this. What would you use product wise/process etc to deal with this messy, but very cool piece. Oh, and in addition to that I pick up a pair of Sard 7x50 USN Mark 21 Marine Binocs. WWII vintage. They too are going to need some attention. There is a bit of haze on the rt side but they are original and so very cool.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Try submerging it in a bath of cola.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

That appears to be part of an old mechanism for loading loose hay into the hay mow of a barn.
    The home remedy for removing rust from cast iron is vinegar (similar to Ken's soda recommendation). The acid removes the rust and will eat into the base iron as well if left too long. A commercial remedy is Evapo-Rust. It is not supposed to be reactive with the base metal, only the oxides. I have used naval jelly on rusted tools to remove rust as well.

Phosphoric acid, it's what's in Coke, it works but get some good stuff! I use this from Home Depot:
    phosacid.jpg
    -it's 20% acid, you can use it full strength, but 50/50 mixed with water will work too.
    They also sell a 'chemical resistant' spray bottle, it has no problem spraying this stuff--

Go to Harbor Freight and get a set or three of these brushes-
    dbrush.jpg
    While you're at HF, and assuming you have an air compressor, get one of these
    airerase.jpg
    --and while I can't find it on their website, they sell 2lb bottles of sand,
    this is mine--
    sand.jpg

Acid on, brush where needed, rinse with water, repeat, when the rust is gone to suit you, the air eraser will slowly, but magically, make it look like new
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

I saw one of those in our recycling bin but when I looked closer it was broken. I probably should still have pulled it out.

I would use evaporust. It works well, its not harmful to touch or breathe, and it is reusable.

I picked this up today at an old homes basement. It is a Meyer’s Loader. I am not sure what I will use if for but must say I am intrigued by it.
    Google steampunk.
    You'll find a bunch of ideas.

Personally - I'd soak it in oil for however long - then wash the oil off with mineral spirits - to see where it's at rust-wise - before using anything like sand or acid that will destroy the patina.

You can look up which model you have here:
    https://haytrolleyheaven.com/manufac...f-e-myers-bro/

FWIW - they can be somewhat valuable - like a few hundred dollars - to someone that collects old farm equipment.
    Sandblast or acid clean it and you remove any collector value - so - please, take that into account.
    My granddad always said, :As one door closes, another opens".
    Wonderful man, terrible cabinet maker...

EDTA is the cheap version of evaporust. Submerge completely or a high tide line will be etched into the rust. use a plastic storage tote, garbage can or kiddy wading pool.
    EDTA is safe enough to eat, some people do.
    Bill D

Blog Entries
    +1 on the soda. I think Mountain Dew has a lot of phosphoric acid. If used it to take the zinc off of carriage bolts. I wanted something that didn’t look like a carriage bolt from Home Depot. So I removed the plating and used a metal lathe to turn the head flat and added a chamfer. Then I used a propane torch to get a nice brown color and dipped the head in some varnish. To insure that there would be no drips, I have a flat plate of plywood that I can mount on the wood lathe. I screwed the bolts into holes in the plate and turned on the lathe at about 5rpm. After a couple of hours the varnish had set enough that I could turn off the lathe.

Thank you all for the suggestions. Should be a fun project.

That's pretty neat Jack. Agree with Rich and Dwayne - I googled "meyers unloader hay trolley", and yours looks like what came up on images. The asking prices that came up were all over the map, but I saw one at $180 and another for $360.

I'd try a brass brush, followed by evaporust if it was mine. Hope you'll post pics after you clean it up.
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

+1 for Evapo-Rust
    Assumption is the mother of all screw ups
    Anonyms

A trolley it is. Ran on a track hung from the peak of a barn roof running the length of the barn. Have a few to remind me what hard work really is.

I just watched a YouTube video of various rust removal solutions. Evaporust, another commercial product I don’t recall, coke and vinegar. I was a well performed test. In short don’t waste your time with anything other than Evaporust. Harbor freight sells it among many others.
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

H-240 Unloader

It is an H-240 model. I spent a little time on it yesterday just scraping off a century of crap. It is in pretty good shape overall. I think I will hit it with a power washer to get rid of the dirt in the nooks and crannies. Original color is silver. I thought there would be bolts on the pulleys, but it is 1/2” rivets, so no disassembly possible and it will take quite a lot of Evaporust to submerge. On YT I saw a fellow turn these into light fixtures. With the unit I also picked up a large coil of good condition 1” and 1.5” rope. I have an access hole in my ceiling and with the attic trusses I have light storage. I may rig this guy up to reduce the strain of lifting/lowering. I’ve long since forgotten the ratio of weight reduction with pulleys
    Attached Images Attached Images