In order to maximize space in my small workspace I decided on a system that exhausts dust collection directly into my 100gal brown yard waste bin outside.

It's based around a 2hp Jet compressor mounted in the attic space and a 6" line that drops into the shop. The problem is how to best capture dust in the brown bin. The 4" exhaust line is essentially a leaf blower directly into the open can. All the dust does is hit the bottom and back out all over the place.

I'm considering a few options. Would love to cut 2 holes in the waste bin lid, one for intake and another to vent air out; but I think the city would frown on that. I tried clamping a piece of plywood to the top of the open bin with the same idea of two holes, a 4" hose for the air/fine dust to escape. Works ok but doesn't have a great seal around the bin.

Wondering if a metal cyclone like this would be useful in this application:
https://www.oneida-air.com/dust-depu...lone-separator

Make a stand for the cyclone, drop a hose into the bin. The cyclone exhaust would have a flex hose venting in a safe direction.

The idea is to optimize shop space, easy disposal of dust (just roll the bin out to the curb!), keep dust out of workspace, etc.

Suggestions?