Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: outdoor exhaust dust collection ideas needed

outdoor exhaust dust collection ideas needed

In order to maximize space in my small workspace I decided on a system that exhausts dust collection directly into my 100gal brown yard waste bin outside.

It's based around a 2hp Jet compressor mounted in the attic space and a 6" line that drops into the shop. The problem is how to best capture dust in the brown bin. The 4" exhaust line is essentially a leaf blower directly into the open can. All the dust does is hit the bottom and back out all over the place.

I'm considering a few options. Would love to cut 2 holes in the waste bin lid, one for intake and another to vent air out; but I think the city would frown on that. I tried clamping a piece of plywood to the top of the open bin with the same idea of two holes, a 4" hose for the air/fine dust to escape. Works ok but doesn't have a great seal around the bin.

Wondering if a metal cyclone like this would be useful in this application:
    https://www.oneida-air.com/dust-depu...lone-separator

Make a stand for the cyclone, drop a hose into the bin. The cyclone exhaust would have a flex hose venting in a safe direction.

The idea is to optimize shop space, easy disposal of dust (just roll the bin out to the curb!), keep dust out of workspace, etc.

Suggestions?

A cyclone on top of a sealed barrel or bin seems like it would be the most promising to me. I think you would still need to have some kind of filter after the cyclone to keep you and the neighbors from being coated with the fine dust that makes it though the cyclone. I would also worry about rain wetting down any filter on the far side of the cyclone. I would guess it would not make a huge difference in efficiency if the cyclone is after the blower instead of before the blower like it is usually configured.

The problem that I have always heard associated with exhausting the dust collector outside is that you loose a lot of conditioned air if you have a shop heater or AC.

I have considered putting my cyclone with top mounted blower and bag/cartridge filter in an outside closet built onto the far side of my shop. Then putting a large area of furnace filters in the closet for extra filtration before the closet empties the air back into my shop through some kind of larger duct. The filter cartridge should catch most of the dust with the furnace filters adding an extra layer of filtration is my thought.
    Last edited by Michael Schuch; 02-11-2022 at 2:09 AM.

It's a garage workshop in California that usually has the doors open so climate control or air exchange isn't an issue. The original configuration of the Jet DC had the filter and bag after the compressor so I didn't think having the cyclone after it would matter?

I may just use a cyclone/Rubbermaid (Brute) trash can combo and just dump that into the brown bin when full. That way I can modify the Rubbermaid bin to suit my needs.

You might get one of those trash can lid swirlers and try it (google cyclone trashcan lid). If it works, then just add it to the lid of your box. A cheap test, it doesnt have to work 'well', just so it doesnt create a dust storm for the surrounding. Getting the air moving in a circular motion seems like a good idea.

I would be wondering how to empty something that is too large (without a tractor). Your idea to try a trash can first is a good one.

With an efficient (long cone) cyclone well sealed to a bin you should have very little blowby and might get away without an afterfilter, as long as the neighbors are not too close and and the bin doesn't get overfilled (in which case you will have a chip cannon). When I say well sealed I mean no leaks at all. A cyclone will add some resistance to the system.

You could attach a bag filter like the one that came with your dust collector to a top panel on the bin. It too would need to be well sealed. The filter will add some back pressure, depending on its size.

I don't understand your setup. Normally dust blowers have a discharge at least as big as the intake. A 4" discharge seems unnecessarily restrictive. Why are you using a separate blower to get the chips out of the attic?

You will need some way to empty your bin and removeable liners or a replacement if you want to keep operating when it is full. What do you currently do with your chips?

By the way, the device that provides the suction is usually called the blower or fan. If you are using a compressor all bets are off.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Crivello View Post
    It's a garage workshop in California that usually has the doors open so climate control or air exchange isn't an issue. The original configuration of the Jet DC had the filter and bag after the compressor so I didn't think having the cyclone after it would matter?

I may just use a cyclone/Rubbermaid (Brute) trash can combo and just dump that into the brown bin when full. That way I can modify the Rubbermaid bin to suit my needs.

I paid $20 for a plastic 55 gallon food grade barrel with a clamp on top. I also have a 30 gallon one that I paid $30 for (The 30g ones are less common so go for more $). I think they would work MUCH better for you than a Rubbermaid trash can since the food grade drums seal very easily but very tight.

There are usually a half dozen places selling once used food grade drums on Craigslist in my neck of the woods.

blue-lever-lock-drum_4_.jpg

I do not believe that having the cyclone before or after the blower (compressor) will make any difference.
    Last edited by Michael Schuch; 02-12-2022 at 1:40 AM.

I use an exterior chip box.

The first pic is the shipping box for the ShopBot CNC router that I converted to a chip box at CNU. I cut a hole in this box and placed a baby diaper over the hole as a filter and installed the dryer vent as a cover. Just to the right side of the truck bumper you can see an asphalt walkway, students walked within twelve feet of the chip box all day long.

The second pic is a 3000 gallon tank behind my current workshop. This tank has no top, its not necessary when the size of the receptacle is very large.
    The DC line goes from the shop dust collector through the wall into the tank or box.

My first chip box was a 4' by 4' by 8' long plywood box I built for my previous workshop.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 02-12-2022 at 8:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Crivello View Post
    In order to maximize space in my small workspace I decided on a system that exhausts dust collection directly into my 100gal brown yard waste bin outside.

It's based around a 2hp Jet compressor mounted in the attic space and a 6" line that drops into the shop. The problem is how to best capture dust in the brown bin. The 4" exhaust line is essentially a leaf blower directly into the open can. All the dust does is hit the bottom and back out all over the place.
    Do you have neighbors?

I have my blowers shoot into a trailer. The air circulates, and I have baffles on the walls and ceiling. The air has to do a U torn to get out. The big stuff stays in the trailer, the fine dust blows out into the meadow behind the shop. I like this, because the animals using the sawdust as bedding have less fine dust. My nearest neighbor is 1/4 mile away.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Jenness View Post
    With an efficient (long cone) cyclone well sealed to a bin you should have very little blowby and might get away without an afterfilter, as long as the neighbors are not too close and and the bin doesn't get overfilled (in which case you will have a chip cannon). When I say well sealed I mean no leaks at all. A cyclone will add some resistance to the system.
    No Clearvue in Australia (read hundreds) uses filters unless there is a site specific reason (maybe 10?) and the dust can't be seen or detected by any other means. I installed a short cone Taiwanese machine about a year ago and it also has no filters and no one complains. The biggest problem exhausting to atmosphere is the noise, in the Clearvue case around 90db and that needs dealing with.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

I’ve got a cyclone (XL Dust deputy) sitting on top a 55 gallon drum and exhaust out a garage window. The exhaust is aimed toward the ground by using a dryer vent. Im in a residential neighborhood so I had some concerns but there are so signs of sawdust on the ground dust ‘clouds’ out the window while I’m working.
    Since I don’t heat or cool the garage this was the ideal setup for reasons of cost, airflow, and noise.
    Last edited by Patrick Curry; 02-19-2022 at 6:12 PM.

Thanks for all the feedback. Haven't decided on what approach to take yet.

I'm kicking around the idea of switching to a used 3hp 3ph Dustvent DC with integrated cyclone I found for sale. Concerned that the Jet blower is slightly underpowered and suction seems to drop off where it hits my Felder slider. This unit is more powerful and has a metal cyclone for what I was potentially going to have to spend on just a metal dust deputy from Onieda. I'll also run 6" lines throughout. It would need noise abatement/sound control measures since it'd be outside...

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    I use an exterior chip box.

The first pic is the shipping box for the ShopBot CNC router that I converted to a chip box at CNU. I cut a hole in this box and placed a baby diaper over the hole as a filter and installed the dryer vent as a cover. Just to the right side of the truck bumper you can see an asphalt walkway, students walked within twelve feet of the chip box all day long.

The second pic is a 3000 gallon tank behind my current workshop. This tank has no top, its not necessary when the size of the receptacle is very large.
    The DC line goes from the shop dust collector through the wall into the tank or box.

My first chip box was a 4' by 4' by 8' long plywood box I built for my previous workshop.
    Keith, how in the world do you empty that thing?
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post
    Had the same question; how does that work out??

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post
    The first plywood chip box I built when I lived in a neighborhood in 1985. I used 30 gallon trash cans and hauled the chips to a local horse barn a half mile away that would pay me 5 bucks per can.

The small chip box I used to use at CNU I emptied periodically by shoveling the chips into 30 gallon trash cans and taking them to the dumpster. The university still uses this box today.

The big 3000 gallon steel tank I am using now is so big it has never filled up. Every time we have a major storm the contents of the tank are emptied by mother nature If I had to manually remove the chips for some reason I have a tractor with a front end loader, I would have to lower the bucket into the tank and then get inside and shovel the chips into the bucket.

Since my first chip box I have never once have had to use, clean or purchase a filter and my 2hp dust collector performs like it is 4 hp because there are no line restrictions.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 02-26-2022 at 8:20 AM.

OK. Retire the trophy. Keith wins. Hands down. We're not worthy. We're not worthy. We're not worthy.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.