8 5.30%
  • Hobbyist

98 64.90%
  • Some where in between

23 15.23%
  • Other

8 5.30%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pro, retired pro, hobbyist or somewhere in between?

Pro, retired pro, hobbyist or somewhere in between?

I am curious what the mix on this board is? Pro? Retired pro? Hobbyist? Some where in between?

Me - Hobbyist.

EDIT: I would like to differentiate between Pro and Hobbyist in terms of how you make your living and not as a function of skill level.
    Last edited by Michael Schuch; 02-11-2022 at 1:41 PM.

I am 100% - other.
    I got into this stuff out of necessity.

My wife and I started buying and rehabbing houses to rent out in 2002 and I had to either sink or swim as far as making and installing trim, cabinets and built ins.

I've gotten passable at doing it. I'll never be anywhere near what I would consider a "real woodworker", but, I do ok sometimes.

I have enjoyed that aspect of doing a rehab though and I recently bought both a scroll saw and a small 10" bandsaw. Once we get settled in our new place, I plan do do some small craft-type things. Maybe look into doing some inlay too.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Defiantly other, the main reason being, everyone seems to have their own definition of pro or hobbyist, etc.

Definitely a hobbyist here with a mix of other. I have built cabinets and furniture for our home and my workshop simply because I wanted custom pieces not otherwise available at a price I was willing to pay. Some of the items are certainly better than others but I enjoy the work/results (well, not finish work so much...). To be able to point/look at something and know "I did that" brings a good feeling to me. I am definitely not in the pro category but have tried a lot of things just to see if I can do them. Some I may never do again!
    I have just as much satisfaction building shop cabinets and project jigs that no one ever gets to see as I get building better (not always finer) furniture and cabinets.

I replied Pro because I do this to make a good part of my living, however it's not enough so I still have to work as a golf pro too!! Well, that's not so bad I suppose I love doing both, but I am trying to grow this woodworking business that I've had since 2003 to get the point where it is enough and I can choose to do other things if I wish. Would love to hear or talk with any of you who also have small businesses so I can get some help with growth!

I'm an oddity, and that suits me fine. All my income comes from instrument building (except for the occasional eBay sale of random things) but I don't have training which would make me be considered a professional.

Interesting result so far. Maybe the pros are too busy working.

I accept hobbyist as I don't do anything with it to make money, just gifts for family and friends.
    < insert spurious quote here >

I'm firmly in the "other" camp. I've done several whole house gut renovations for profit, but never made my living with woodworking. I ran a jobbing machine shop until I was disabled by Lymphoma. It is now in remission, but I'll never be able to work again due to the side effects of the various treatments. I think that makes me land firmly in the "hobbyist' camp now.

I appreciate the replies! I come across some topics and replies that are very foreign to me. As a hobbyist I think wood working should be fun and relaxing. I understand that if woodworking is your business that you don't have these luxuries so productive and profitable takes a priority. Even as a hobbyist I LOVE working on professional machines! But as a hobbyist I can't justify buying them (certainly not buying them new!) Occasionally I feel like I am the only hobbyist on this board... so it is nice to know I am not alone.

It sounds like WAY too many of us grew up watching this old house. My first house when I was just out of college had the kitchen and half the down stairs bedroom gutted by a fire when I purchased it. I remember borrowing all of my buddies car jacks so I could jack up the second story and replace the framing in the two rooms on the first story. Jacking up the second story after detaching it from joists so I could pull and replace the burnt subfloor was another feat! For that experience I thank "This Old House"... it took me months to do what they could accomplish in a hour show.

P.S. I don't think of hobbyists as a lower skill level, I just think of it in monetary term of how you make a living.
    Last edited by Michael Schuch; 02-11-2022 at 1:39 PM.

Blog Entries
    I'm a hobbyist for sure, although my networks of friends-of-friends (etc.) and a couple businesses pay me small potatoes for a few things here and there (and I do keep licenses, insurance up to date).
    - Bob R.
    Collegeville PA (30 minutes west of Philly)

Quote Originally Posted by Zachary Hoyt View Post
    I'm an oddity, and that suits me fine. All my income comes from instrument building (except for the occasional eBay sale of random things) but I don't have training which would make me be considered a professional.
    Experience counts as training. No worries...you're a pro.

-----

OP, you'll find that the SMC community does have a population of folks who make all or part of their living with woodworking and/or related. But the majority of the community is hobbyists who do work for themselves/friends/family plus some of the same that dabble in work for others because they enjoy it and like getting a few shekels for the effort without having a formal business. I'm not surprised about the poll results so far at all.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I'm a pro, but I'm more on the finish/custom carpentry side of things. I'd classify myself as a beginner woodworker and wish I had more time for it as a hobby! Too busy playing on the water on my days off.

I replied "other" because woodworking is just one thing on a long list of things I do to make a living. I do no hobby woodworking, or building anything for a hobby, other than a farm.

I guess I am OTHER. I have rehabbed 14 houses, a couple twice, built two full kitchens, two kitchenettes, and buffet type stuff as family needs change.

Always planned to try some fancier stuff like Green & Green, but always too busy. Been remodeling the house we live in for 17 years...Added 1200 S/F Granny flat to the house, built a nice workshop in the back yard, and just finished a 500' guest Cottage in the back yard contiguous with an additional garage and carport.

Family dynamics involved our daughter moving in to OUR granny flat, 12 years ago. Her now adult daughters naturally came too. The now 25 year old moved into the GUEST cottage before it was finished, and the two of them tutor dyslexic kids here all day. The 25 YO bought a house 3 miles away, and will be moving any day now. The 28 YO grand daughter is a bit autistic, and will be here after we are gone. She also took over the patio room we built.

With the guest cottage almost vacant we already have two possible relatives that may need assistance with living. Build it and they will come. Guests are advised to hurry up and visit.

Actually, old cars are my real hobby, hence the extra garage space. I hope to finish it all but I am sure slowing down, and I have five rentals to keep track of. Farm out most of the work these days, but always something happening.

Like I said...OTHER.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Hi, hobby wood worker for 50 years with a year of industrial wood working experience.

Making my living at wood working is more work than I’m interested in so I picked another career (power systems)……..Regards, Rod