Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Magport questions

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    If someone was smart, they would 3D-print an actual replacement snorkel for the Hammer A3 with the Magport flange integrated into it. That would sell all day long

Erik
    I think the same general idea would hold true for other brands and types of machines, too.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I think the same general idea would hold true for other brands and types of machines, too.
    100% Jim. I can see a real market channel here.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

If someone was smart, they would 3D-print an actual replacement snorkel for the Hammer A3 with the Magport flange integrated into it. That would sell all day long

Erik
    3D printing them would be quite expensive, I doubt people would pay the price. Now 3D print a prototype, fab a mold and cast them maybe. I own one of the faster dual independent print head 3D printers on the market $8,500, no way it's fast enough for production volume of something like that just saying.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Coolidge View Post
    3D printing them would be quite expensive, I doubt people would pay the price. Now 3D print a prototype, fab a mold and cast them maybe. I own one of the faster dual independent print head 3D printers on the market $8,500, no way it's fast enough for production volume of something like that just saying.
    Gotcha, Charles. All the makerspace-type stuff is outside my wheelhouse.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Erik
    I am in the process of doing this for my minimax. But am doing both sides with my own design using some generic magnets.

Doing one to match a standard design is a fairly minor task, I would be willing to knock out an STL file if anyone wants it (likely can be printed on most hobby 3D printeran Ender3). I would need some key dimensions is all.

And I cant do it if it infringes Intellectual Property.

PM with any interest.
    Last edited by Carl Beckett; 02-19-2022 at 1:27 PM.

Blog Entries
    There is a design on thingiverse that I modified almost 2 years ago and used rectangular magnets on both sides. It doesn't hold super tight, but all the connections are vertical and have the weight of the hose and connector on them and still work. I think you could 3d print a pretty good size fitting
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Beckett View Post
    ...And I cant do it if it infringes Intellectual Property...
    In my experience, neither the Italians nor the Austrians would care if someone started manufacturing and selling stuff like this. Where they would draw the line is if asked for technical drawings or for "free samples" if that was asked. That would all be a hard nope.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

In my experience, neither the Italians nor the Austrians would care if someone started manufacturing and selling stuff like this. Where they would draw the line is if asked for technical drawings or for "free samples" if that was asked. That would all be a hard nope.

Erik
    I think, in Europe, there is no IP protection against personal use. In the US there would be, even if not commercial or trying to make money off it.

I wondered about the maker of the magport IP?

I have no interest in making money on something like this and can post my stl file: Note the design is pretty amenable to CNC so that may be a better option than printing (faster, less brittle material, likely wood is just fine). Many of you here have a cnc. Will put the results in the shop made section of the forum

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Coolidge View Post
    It looks like Magport 3D prints some of their newer fittings.

"Production Volume" of that adapter is probably two or three a week. I'm sure something cheap, like an Ender 3, could easily keep up with that demand working one or two days a week.
    Beranek's Law:

It has been remarked that if one selects his own components, builds his own enclosure, and is convinced he has made a wise choice of design, then his own loudspeaker sounds better to him than does anyone else's loudspeaker. In this case, the frequency response of the loudspeaker seems to play only a minor part in forming a person's opinion.
    L.L. Beranek, Acoustics (McGraw-Hill, New York, 1954), p.208.

Quote Originally Posted by David L Morse View Post
    It looks like Magport 3D prints some of their newer fittings.

"Production Volume" of that adapter is probably two or three a week. I'm sure something cheap, like an Ender 3, could easily keep up with that demand working one or two days a week.
    Maybe in PLA at those low volumes. PETG, ABS, Nylon etc. require higher temps, a heated printer enclosure, heated bed and filament driers. In general 3D printing has a high print failure rate vs other types of manufacturing and the cost is hours of time plus filament and wear and tear on the printer. At $7 I guarantee they are losing money on those adapters, that's crazy. I wouldn't box the thing for $7 let alone manufacture it.

Sorry, I wasn't clear. "That adapter" was referring to the Hammer-to-Magport adapter previously discussed. That sort of thing supports a much higher price than $7, probably more like $170. I bet the Hammer replacement part is more than that.
    Beranek's Law:

It has been remarked that if one selects his own components, builds his own enclosure, and is convinced he has made a wise choice of design, then his own loudspeaker sounds better to him than does anyone else's loudspeaker. In this case, the frequency response of the loudspeaker seems to play only a minor part in forming a person's opinion.
    L.L. Beranek, Acoustics (McGraw-Hill, New York, 1954), p.208.

PETG would likely be fine for this and it doesn't require anything fancy. A Prusa farm could crank these out all day long and never miss a beat. 3D printers are much better than they were even 4-5 years ago. I'm at the point now where I click "Start" on either of my Prusas and walk away. I'm usually nearby but the only maintenance I have to do is to keep the bed clean.

You couldn't compete with Magport's CNC pricing but you could make about 7-8 of them a week per printer. In a couple months you'd have paid off your printers if you sold them for $40-$50 each. You wouldn't be making bank or anything but it wouldn't be a bad deal. The most time consuming part would be gluing in the magnets.

The offer was to supply the stl file, for free, to anyone wanting to run it on a cnc or printer. Sharing files is at the heart of the maker community

Although I have not specifically seen the hammer to magport design - maybe there is something about it that makes it much more complex? I would have to see it.

Update: I finished installing the Magport's today the entire shop is converted over. Man they are great it's so easy to move hoses from machine to machine now. Threw 3 of the Magport blastgate types on the cyclone. I ended up ordering the dual hose clamp rubber splices from Woodcraft all around vs using the short length of spiral hose, that worked great.