Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Router for Router Lift Recommendation (Mast R Lift II)

Router for Router Lift Recommendation (Mast R Lift II)

I got a good deal on MastRLift II recently but i need to purchase a motor for it.

Does anyone have a recommendation? I searched the forum and the de-facto answer seemed to be the PC 7518. Unfortunately, this is no longer available apparently.

I would prefer a 3HP motor.

According to the manual these are my options. But if anyone has a different model that has worked well, that would be appreciated.

Porter Cable 7518
    Porter Cable 690/890, Bosch 1617/1618,
    DeWalt 610/618,
    Craftsman 17543/17540/28190
    Makita 1101
    Hitachi M12VC/KM12VC
    Milwaukee 5626
    Milwaukee 5615/5616/5619
    Rigid R29302

Previous posters have mentioned the Milwaukee 3HP. I have the 5625-20 in a Jessem table with the Incra version of the Jessem lift. It works well enough. I previously had a 1HP PC in it, it also worked well with 8/4 white oak trimming. What you need will probably depend on what your doing but I don't think you can go wrong with the Milwaukee.

The Milwaukee 5625 works like a champ.

Have you considered one of the Portermates? I don't know anything about them, other than they are 3+ HP.
    My Dad always told me "Can't Never Could".

SWE

I use a Dewalt 618 in mine. I know it is often recommended to use a 3 hp, but the 618 has held up fine for me.

Quote Originally Posted by derek labian View Post
    Previous posters have mentioned the Milwaukee 3HP. I have the 5625-20 in a Jessem table with the Incra version of the Jessem lift. It works well enough. I previously had a 1HP PC in it, it also worked well with 8/4 white oak trimming. What you need will probably depend on what your doing but I don't think you can go wrong with the Milwaukee.
    Quote Originally Posted by roger wiegand View Post
    The Milwaukee 5625 works like a champ.
    In the manual it referred to to 5626, did you just disassemble the Milwaukee 5625-20? It looks like the base is integrated.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Eure View Post
    Have you considered one of the Portermates? I don't know anything about them, other than they are 3+ HP.
    Sorry which one are you referring too?

I guess woodpeckers makes a motor SpinRite Does anyone know if that will fit?

Yeah it came with a base, just took it off.

I know it may not be the best but I got the Skil 10 amp 2 hp router and it has worked great my in Incra lift. I am not running the router day in and day out but for my hobby use the price was right.

I also just got a mastr lift ii but paid near full freight. Decided to buy once, cry once on the motor after thinking about the portamate--I went to order the Milwaukee 5625 after searching for a couple weeks. Found a flash sale at toolbarn and was $75 off with free shipping, so that made my day. Maybe the sale is still on...
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

Pandemic price gouging is active on eBay right now for the PC 7518. Two offers are charging 2-1/2 times what I paid two years ago.

You might try a local woodworkers’ club. Mine in the Bay Area’s East Bay often has some older guy like me closing up shop.

But probably someone here will hook you up with a modern-day Big Boy. Me, I’m old school: bought my first PC 690 over 20 years ago and now have two. So the 7518 was the logical choice when I upgraded to the Mast-R-Lift II.

Good luck.

In the manual it referred to to 5626, did you just disassemble the Milwaukee 5625-20? It looks like the base is integrated.
    The 5626 used to be a JessEm exclusive. It was a 5625 with a separate power and speed module.
    The current list of motors says a 5625 will fit in the Imperial version, but, it's not listed for the metric version.
    They do list the larger diameter PC though, so, it( 5625) would probably fit.
    My granddad always said, :As one door closes, another opens".
    Wonderful man, terrible cabinet maker...

The 5625 will not fit the metric version of the Incra (been there, done that, wrote the thread). Bolt holes for some European routers overlap with where the holes would need to be for the 5625.

Hi John,

I was in the same situation about 18 months ago after I picked up a used Woodpeckers lift (a MastRLift II WP branded clone I believe). I purchased the Bora 3 HP motor and it has been great. Much more power than the Bosch 1617 I burned out and it has replaceable brushes. No idea if it will last 20 years, but I wasn't about to pay $700 for a used PC 7518 on eBay. It uses the same router lift inserts as the 7518.

The old version may still be on sale. The newer version looks to have a nice collet and maybe some other upgrades.

I've been replacing my 7518's with the Bora as they die off, but I would always give a thumbs up to the 5625.
    Chuck

Blog Entries
    I bought a Milwaukee 5625 for my Excalibur lift, but it is such a pleasure to use free hand that I almost didn't put it in the lift. I may get another just to use for free hand work. It's definitely far superior to the Porter Cable that used to live there.