Thread: Best drywall anchor for mounting towel bars on bathroom wall?

Best drywall anchor for mounting towel bars on bathroom wall?

Sorry, not really a woodworking question...

I have a new task on my honey-do list: Replace our old towel bars in the bathroom with ones that look nicer.
    I've not needed to use drywall anchors in a few years, so I don't know what new-fangled gizmos are available.
    I want to use something that won't pull out of the wall easily, and likely I'll not be able to drill into studs for most/all of the mounts.

Recommendations for good anchors?

Togglers. They really do work as easily as the videos show. I think good hardware stores sell them in small quantities. The ones they call 3/16 are the same thing as a no. 10 machine screw. I have a whole toolbox titled Togglers. Handicap bars get put up all the time with them. They leave the "nut" part back behind the wall for you to use the fastener of your choice.

https://www.amazon.com/Toggler-SNAPT...ps%2C78&sr=8-8

watch the video over on the left in that link

I like these. Seem very sturdy for that type of use.
    http://https://www.lowes.com/pd/TOGG...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Jim

Blog Entries
    I used the Simpson 1/4-20 size of the type Tom links to to hang my DC ducting.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

EZ anchor Toggler or Snaptoggler

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHb-Tcvkn7M&t=309s

This may be the same thing as Jim linked to, I couldn't open Jim's link for whatever reason

https://www.lowes.com/pd/TOGGLER-Sna...cluded/3183255

I wouldn't trust them for grab bars but they seem fine for towel bars.

Blog Entries
    Plus one on the toggle bolts. The ones I’ve always used are the spring loaded ones that snap open. The down side of those are a big hole in the wall. But for heavier things like a towel rack, toggles are my choice.

For lightweight mounting, Ive had good luck with those anchors that sort of auger into the sheet rock.

two anchors I don’t like are the plastic expandable anchors with no wings unless I’m going into concrete. The other anchors I don’t use much are mollys. The biggest reason is that they aren’t removable. In sheet rock, I generally pound them in and sparkle over them. That’s not really ideal because sparkle doesn’t stick to steel. Sometimes, I might pound them all the way through and fill the hole.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    This may be the same thing as Jim linked to, I couldn't open Jim's link for whatever reason

https://www.lowes.com/pd/TOGGLER-Sna...cluded/3183255

I wouldn't trust them for grab bars but they seem fine for towel bars.
    I would not trust those for a towel bar, even in 5/8" drywall. I've used 1000s of drywall anchors of various types & have a pretty good idea what works & what doesn't. The togglers Tom referred to are good.

Whatever you end up using, if kids use, remind them to slowly take the towel off the rack (and explain why). I've seen them pull the anchors right through the drywall (what a mess) by inadvertently grabbing both sides of towel and pulling. Kids can be rough on stuff. Randy
    Randy Cox
    Lt Colonel, USAF (ret.)

Towel racks should be anchored to a stud or solid wood, verse any type of DW anchor. Kid's treat them like monkey bars and it's only a matter of time before you are making sheetrock repairs of you use anchors. When I frame a bathroom, I figure out where the towel bar(s) will go, then I build the wall with a 2X8 spanning between the studs so bars can be screwed into solid wood. Same thing for handrails and other areas of the home where one would reasonably expect to install something of any substance. In cases where it's too late, and the studs are not where you need them, I'll span two or three studs with a decorative piece of hardwood that I can then attach the towel bar hardware to.

Blog Entries
    Like Michael I prefer good quality screws into the studs.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I mount my towel bars on a piece of wood with routed edges to match the vanity then screw the wood to the studs and cap the holes in the wood with matching wood plugs.

Thanks everyone for the advice and suggestions!

No kids in the household any more, so I'll go with the Togglers as suggested by Tom.
    But if I can, I'll try to get at least one leg screwed into a stud.

If you can't find small quantities, PM me your adress, and I'll send you some. I have more than I will ever use, and in several sizes.