Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What to do with ruined, vintage auger bits?

What to do with ruined, vintage auger bits?

So, I have a number of auger bits in really bad shape, with either the screws, or wings (what do you call them? Cutters that define the hole) ruined. Sometimes both.

I was wondering what I could do with these. I mean, it's still good steel, and there's a useful shank attached... I can't do anything too complicated metal working wise, but I've got files, hacksaws, dremels, and stones.

I suppose the wings/flanges that are ruined (sharpened on the outside so they can't define a hole properly and just get the bit stuck) can be filed off and the bits used for extremely rough work (which I don't really do, but okay... useful to have some beater bits at times, I guess).

But the ones that are beyond any hope of salvation... Gotta be something they'd be good for.

I just feel bad to throw away good steel, and/or vintage tools of any sort, even if they be in really poor condition.

Blog Entries
    Here is an image that might help with the names of various parts:

Irwin Bit Head.png

I was wondering what I could do with these. I mean, it's still good steel, and there's a useful shank attached...
    This is a question often pondered by someone who just ran a good bit into a screw or nail.

You might be able to cut the shaft and file the end into a usable screwdriver.

If they will go into wood, you could bore them in and then leave them and hang it up for a coat/hat rack.

Some might be useable for increasing the size of a hole a step or two.

There is always the possibility of using them in unknown salvaged wood to save your good bits from hidden metal.

You might be able to do something along the line of custom tools with a 90º bevel > https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?289820

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    The Irwin "How To" pamphlet can be found here > https://toolemera.typepad.com/files/irwinhowtopam-1.pdf

You may have already seen this old post > https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?131238

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

I have a box of similar metal items I take to and donate to my blacksmith everytime I drive out there. He is a good hour from my house. Even though I tell him the scrap metal is free to him I seem to get pretty low rates on the work he does for me.

Blog Entries
    Wind chimes, some of them might make a great sound when clinked together.

jtk

Personally I would cut off the auger and fashion then into different screwdrivers. A file can easily turn it into a flathead oraybe even a Philips with a triangle file

If it were me, I'd spend hours in front of a grinder making some tool that I could buy for $5 on Amazon.

Throw them in the recycle bin and move on. When the spurs are shorter than the cutting lips (don't stand above them), they're done.
    Last edited by Charles Guest; 02-10-2022 at 12:39 PM.

I have a nice little awl made from a Jennings Pattern double-twist bit. The screw and lips were cut off and the end rounded. The square part of the shaft was cut off, and the shaft was tapered and pointed.
    Other than that, I don't know what you would do with them.I have a bunch of unusable auger bits, too.
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Guest View Post
    If it were me, I'd spend hours in front of a grinder making some tool that I could buy for $5 on Amazon.

Throw them in the recycle bin and move on. When the spurs are shorter than the cutting lips (don't stand above them), they're done.
    I haven't seen a tapered square shank screwdriver for a brace on Amazon. Maybe I am looking in the wrong spot because if they are $5 there I would buy one

If you prefer using the brace to other tools, you can use the old bits to make adapters. Cutting to length, boring on axis, and adding a setscrew can let you use small twist bits. If you weld, you can add a locking adapter for hex shanks or other things.

Most of the vintage tools sellers in England can fix you up. I have a couple. Nobody is making these new that I am aware of.

Try vintagetoolshop.com and oldtoolstore.co.uk

You can also get an adapter (square, tapered shank) and use the magnetic bits that come in sets. I have one. Tools For Working Wood has them I think. Bought mine years ago.
    Last edited by Charles Guest; 02-10-2022 at 3:08 PM.

I would grind off all the sharp places. Round them well. Make a toy that would slide down …and maybe up! Mount the bits vertically on a board.
    A toy raccoon or wood squirrel would make good spinners.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for that link Paul. This has given me an idea. The tang can probably be ground to sharpen the corners for use like a large bird cage awl to bore or enlarge holes.

jtk

Contact Cracker Barrel and trade them for some biscuits and apple butter.