Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Advice milling a large batch of rough redwood into tongue and groove boards

What about doing spline and groove? I would try a couple pieces just cutting a groove without planing/ jointing/ripping.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    You could do it with router. Sorry, somehow I thought you were gonna use a shaper. For a red wood fence I would favor ship-lap ,not tongue
    and groove . Red wood is brittle ,and after milling the stuff will move . Most will be to tight as the grooves will tend to close up some.
    Mel, I am no opposed to that but what about warping? The purposed behind T&G was to keep the faces co planer. Also what type of bit would you use for shiplap? Most verticals will be spaced at about 4 feet.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    I used a vee grove set from Grizzly on my shaper. Mark top side with chalk as you run them then match that side out on assembly so things line up well. Chalk can be washed off before stain.
    Bill D
    Something like this? Rockler Edge V-Groove Router Bits - 1/2" Shank For reverence this is the profile i was hoping for but i coud always do a second pass to break the other edges.
    T&G Patterns.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Bradley Gray View Post
    What about doing spline and groove? I would try a couple pieces just cutting a groove without planing/ jointing/ripping.
    Bradley, spline and groove? Sorry not sure I follow. Pic?

Everyone thank you for your responses and insight.
    Last edited by John Schiesser; 02-10-2022 at 4:44 PM. Reason: Added thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Tymchak View Post
    I don't have experience with a 4 sided molder. Will it mill straight edges and the t&g on rough lumber in the same pass?
    Yes……Regards, Rod

I made my own shiplap for a timber frame shed roof and floor. One, are you sure its that much of a price difference? I did mine out of 6/4 green hemlock, which was $0.50 a bdft. The price for shiplap #2 cedar was maybe $1.25 a linear foot. I can tell you if i were to do it over again i would have purchased the pre-milled cedar and been done with it. Tons of time to process the rough lumber into what you want to do. And that is with a 5hp 20" planer and 5.5hp shaper with power feeder. But, your prices are different and $2,000 is $2,000. I think for me, the difference was like $500. $500 for a solid weekend a half of my time, which was a poor value proposition to me. The best advice is probably to find a moulder. Most shops will charge you $100-150/hr and a moulder will process that material in an hour. If you cant or wont do that, then i do think this is worth looking for a used shaper with a rebate cutterhead. Resell it when you are done to recoup your costs. A shiplap joint is a corresponding rebate on each edge. You could do it with a dado stack in the table saw, or a groover/rebate head in the shaper.

My 5 year old fence is very similar design with horizontal members in the same plane. My post spacing is 8', and they are within 1/4"-1/2" of one another. If your post spacing is 4', then your horizontal boards are going to be 1/8"+/- from one another in the vertical plane. 1/8" difference is difficult to discern, in my opinion. Perhaps its not worth the joinery for a fence.

You could groove both edges with a dado stack on your table saw. Flip end for end so the same face rides against the fence. Fence side goes against the posts. I would make the fit loose. Cut to length first if you can. If you buy extra you can avoid knots and serious defects.
    .spline and groove.jpeg
    Last edited by Bradley Gray; 02-10-2022 at 6:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Kane View Post
    .....Perhaps its not worth the joinery for a fence.
    I built the fence pictured above with a fair amount of joinery, dados, rabbets, & dominoes. That thing is rock solid but my three weekend project turned into a six month project.

I save about $13 a board ($30 vs $17) and the the rough $17 boards are all heartwood vs the $30 which looked to be about 60% sap wood.

It might have been mentioned, but you can straight edge boards with a router and offset fences. I have run plenty of T&G for gates. It’s a lot of work and for as many feet as a fence requires I’d be looking for another option…unless it’s a really short run of fence. One of the advantages of good cedar and redwood is that they tend to stay relatively flat. Sapwood and heart center, not so much.

Have you checked with the lumber yard you are getting the wood from to see if they offer a straight line rip as a service? Several in my area do.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Tymchak View Post
    I don't have experience with a 4 sided molder. Will it mill straight edges and the t&g on rough lumber in the same pass?
    I own a 6 head moulder and we make a lot of T&G. Typically we will pre-size the moulder blanks by using either a 2 blade edger or a straight line rip saw before running through the moulder.

Moulder in shopC.jpg

The moulder will plane both surfaces, and put the T&G on both edges in a single pass.

What you're talking about doing is a LOT of work - especially using a router and table saw.

With the design presented, it looks like a T&G might tend to trap water in the grooves and lead to early failure. Built a gate with a T&G panel about 10 years ago and it probably is going to have issues eventually. But it was generally built with left over material as a proof of concept and not designed to last forever.

I did a similar T&G for the soffit outside the front and back doors of my house, but these see no liquid water as they are well protected. Used the T&G so the pieces could move (and also installed with a 1/8" reveal between boards leaving 1/8" of room in each groove for movement. 4 years later and still looks like it was installed yesterday.