Thread: Wahuda vs. Cutech planer

Wahuda vs. Cutech planer

I've done a forum & Google search but cant find much on the Wahuda https://www.wahudatools.com/product/...ner-two-speed/
    Is anyone here using the Wahuda ? If so I'd appreciate your thoughts.
    The Wahuda & Cutech seem to be the exact same planer except the Wahuda has 4 sided cutters and Cuttech are 2 sided. The Wahuda is 100 bucks more but you end with double the cutter head life.
    I did read a few posts here from guys who were very happy with the Cutech my guess would be Wahuda would be the same.
    I bought a Laguna PX12 and had to send it back it was a POS and could not be made to plane right. Don't want go through that again FYI you can see reviews here https://www.rockler.com/laguna-px-12...enchtop-planer
    I'm not interested in buying and installing a byrd head in a DX735
    Thanks

I picked up the Jet 13"BT a mirror image of these two. It has 2-sided cutters. I flipped two of them yesterday. The only issue I've had & it continues is disengaging on occasion when in high-speed mode ... haven't solved that bug yet.
    Other than that issue it is a big improvement over the DW734 I retired.

Bummer about problem with the Jet. I was looking at those but there about 250 more bucks. Both the Wahuda & Cutech have a 2 year warranty. I'm a hobby woodworker & I would expect a 700-1000 dollar tool to last me a long time.
    Thanks

I had the Cutech 13" with snipe lock and carbide tips. Was a great planer for the year + I had it and no issues. Sold it off recently to make room for a new Grizzly 12" jointer / planer.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert London View Post
    I had the Cutech 13" with snipe lock and carbide tips. Was a great planer for the year + I had it and no issues. Sold it off recently to make room for a new Grizzly 12" jointer / planer.

Thanks for the info. In the time you owned it did you ever have to rotate the cutters ? I'm asking because the Cutech is about 100 bucks cheaper & if you get decent life out of the cutter heads maybe I don't really need the 4 sided ones.

Hi Lou,

I never rotated the cutters and still had a fresh edge when I sold it. It was getting a bit noisier and not as smooth so I was probably due for a rotate. But even on the first edge, was still doing a very respectable job.

There's no way I would have lasted that long on straight knives, IMO. For the price point, I wouldn't hesitate to buy the Cutech.

What is the cost of another set of cutters? Greater than the $100 difference or same, maybe less?

If I was starting all over again, I could see myself buying the Wahuda for the 2 speed gearbox. It reduces tear-out by slowing it down under 20 FPM.

Don't think either is a bad choice. Coin toss and think you'd be happy with either.