Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Craftsman radial arm saw part

Glad you got it working again Jay! Tools that you have used for 50 years can become like old longtime friends!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Is the replacement relay made by Klixon? Were there voltage and current specs on the Craftsman relay to match up with the replacement relay?

Good to hear Jay, congratulations!!

and, thanks to Michael for the Red Star info!
    earl
    Last edited by Earl McLain; 02-11-2022 at 7:46 PM.

Sorry, I never got the name of the manufacturer. But the p/n does look like it's a Klixon. There were no specs available for the original relay.

Blog Entries
    This repair would make a good youTube how to video. There are a lot of these saws still around. There are also some less patient folks who give up after only 10 or 20 clicks. I will bookmark this and keep a paper note with that PIN number with my saw.
    Best Regards, Maurice

Good news. Jack

If there were not any specs on the Craftsman relay, how was the motor tech able to determine a suitable replacement relay? Looking at the Klixon site there are hundreds to choose from on their list.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Davis View Post
    If there were not any specs on the Craftsman relay, how was the motor tech able to determine a suitable replacement relay? Looking at the Klixon site there are hundreds to choose from on their list.

For a 2hp 120v motor the specs of the potential relay just have to be in the right neighborhood, they don't have to be that close. An actual experienced motor tech should be able to swag it.

Blog Entries
    I am curious about what is inside the relay. A capacitor, a coil, a resistor, a spring and some contacts?
    Best Regards, Maurice

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Mcmurry View Post
    I am curious about what is inside the relay. A capacitor, a coil, a resistor, a spring and some contacts?

The relay is a coil, which during start up has enough current drawn thru it to engage the contacts. As speed builds up, current draw falls, releasing the contacts. Super simple concept, and can be used on any single phase motor to replace centrifical switch which may no longer be available. It would have to be mounted externally of the motor. Hardest part is choosing correct one. I have a couple of tools that used potential relays (OEM) for starting circuits. Three wire submersible well pumps used potential relays in the control box, before solid state came into being.
    Last edited by Bruce Wrenn; 02-13-2022 at 8:33 PM.

Blog Entries
    Thank you Bruce! With help I can sometimes understand electro-mechanical devices.
    Best Regards, Maurice