Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hammer A3-31 dust collection

Hammer A3-31 dust collection

I have this machine coming into me in a week or so. I was hoping some here could point me to where I would find couplings etc to connect my 5" DC hose to this machine which appears to have a 120mm connection port(unless I read the manual incorrectly) which is less than 5 inches. Voices of experience would be greatly appreciated.

Joe,

I used the adaptor on the Felder shop.

https://www.felder-group.com/en-us/s...ector-sp125896

You need to use a clamp to cinch the 5" flex hose to the adaptor, but the adaptor allows you to remove it from t he machine as you do the switch from Jointer to planer.

PK

Take a look at Fernco 1056-44. That's what I used to connect 5" hose to the A3-31 I used to have. Found it at Lowes.

https://www.fernco.com/dimensional-drawings/plumbing/flexible-couplings/stock-couplings-1056/1056-44

I 3D printed a sleeve that slides over the 120 mm outlet and allows the 5" flex to slide over the sleeve.

I also use the Fernco sewer pipe connector for the 120mm ports on my similar machine.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I use the same adaptor that Paul mentioned above. Works very well. I am not sure if you have other machines using a 120mm port, but if it is the case, that adaptor allows you to easily switch from one machine to another, provided the hose is long enough of course.

On my A341 I simply wrapped a piece of adhesive backed foam about 1/8 thick 1/2 wide on the machine fitting and a piece of flex goes on and off snug super smooth and simple and nothing gets past....total cost about .10 or a few bucks for a roll and you can replace it any time it should unstick....so far 18 mo or so of normal use in a one man shop and that original piece is working just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Cowan View Post
    I have this machine coming into me in a week or so. I was hoping some here could point me to where I would find couplings etc to connect my 5" DC hose to this machine which appears to have a 120mm connection port(unless I read the manual incorrectly) which is less than 5 inches. Voices of experience would be greatly appreciated.
    I use the Felder right angle connector with a polyurethane very flexible hose, the only way to go when you’re flipping back and forth….Regards, Rod.

I've invested in the Magport fittings in my shop. I have one piece of 5" flex hose at the end of my DC duct run, with a 5" Magport fitting on the loose end. All of my "mobile" tools (router table, bandsaw, drum sander, and my A3-31) were updated to include their own fixed 5" Magport fitting. In the case of the A3-31, I just used a very short piece of 5" hose to connect the Magport to the J/P's connector.
    And there was trouble, taking place...

Thanks guys. I think I can figure it out now.

I used the felder shop adapter down to 4" on my 31 and put rocklers quick change on it, I share the hose with supermax. I went 4" because at the time I had a 2hp HF and never bothered changing once I upgraded DC. I havent noticed any issue using the 4". Note that this machine will fill DC quickly on large milling task. Lead to my seperator getting filled up and blowing a lot of dust on the cars in the driveway.

People seem to really like the upgraded planer height adjustment wheel. I have put it in the cart 10 times and decided against. I kick myself often, when I bought mine it was 4000 and I could have upgraded to the 41 for $1000. Now its a much bigger cost.
    The machine is great. Keep the surfaces oiled especially the planing table it will stop the wood from progressing through if its not well lubricated.
    I am on my second side on carbide cutters after 4 years having changed last summer. I am a hobbyist but have used this machine quite often

when it comes , the instructions say absolutely dont lift by the planer bed. Good luck with lifting it without doing that. I had it off the pickup truck(slid it down atv ramps with plywood attached and stopped by the garage floor lip.) not too bad but getting it off the pallet I had to shimmy it using the table and lower it gently off then lifted opposite end so another guy could pull the pallet. I never ended up lifting the full weight of the machine but had to lift a little
    Last edited by George Yetka; 02-09-2022 at 9:45 AM. Reason: added

That Magport flange is the way to go.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

For me, the 90 connector is particularly useful on the J/P because it keeps the connection point in a very accessible orientation, regardless of whether you're using the jointer or the planer. Good ergonomics, I guess I'd say. As a combination machine owner, I can add that the same 90 connector can then be used and is perfect for the dust collection on the shaper hood, just pull it off the J/P port and push it onto the dust collection port on the back of the shaper hood, and with the Magport it's easy to connect your hose -- tons of clearance, keeps everything out of the way.

Quote Originally Posted by George Yetka View Post
    I used the felder shop adapter down to 4" on my 31 and put rocklers quick change on it, I share the hose with supermax. I went 4" because at the time I had a 2hp HF and never bothered changing once I upgraded DC. I havent noticed any issue using the 4". Note that this machine will fill DC quickly on large milling task. Lead to my seperator getting filled up and blowing a lot of dust on the cars in the driveway.

I have the Rockler Quick connect on my A3-41, too. I just use a 20' hose and then move it between my SawStop & my J/P. Quick to connect and move and the handle is nice. I would like the MagPort, as it is 5", but the handle makes the Quick connect way more convenient. I have a 90* coming off the back of my SawStop and my drum sander. I just ordered the 120mm neck-down when I got my machine, as recommended by my sales rep. You might call your sales rep and ask for their fitting to whatever hose you need. I also got an extra euro guard fitting and plastic ends for it and then sawed it in 1/3 to 2/3 parts on the bandsaw. Then when I move my fence (to not use the exact same cutterhead knives on every piece going thru the jointer), I don't have to have the fence 8" over towards me and step around an extra 8" further away from the beds.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    That Magport flange is the way to go.

Erik
    I see the Magport 5001 but have no idea how it works. It says you need more than one for it too work. The Felder adapter is backordered for up to 8 weeks. I need something sooner.