Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Green wood and cold weather

Green wood and cold weather

I have a few maple chunks about 12 to 14 inch long 12 inch wide ,its been setting inside but in the cold ,30 ,moisture is at 42 % from my meter, will it hurt to bring it into 60 degrees and turn? I will be cutting this blank with chain saw.

I've turned green wood that literally had ice or snow on the surface. Didn't notice any difference vs green wood that was already at room temperature.

Good to know, also I'm reading a older book ,a piece by Alan Stirt he wrote that he used past wax if he needed to stop for a few minutes to prevent checking. I have gone in for lunch, and came out to see the checking started, and ruin a project.

In the back pockets of my turning smock are several plastic grocery bags. When phone rings, someone comes to door, . . . the piece on the lathe gets bagged, even if only a 5 minute interruption is expected.

It won’t check if it’s kept wet. Some spritz with water then wrap with plastic wrap to keep the piece wet during a break.

For an extended delay you can always take it off the lathe and toss it in a tub of water. Will easily keep for weeks or months if kept in clean water, the cooler the better.

Don't bring it all in, just one piece at a time. I once was commissioned to but some 6x6s into porch post knees. Cut them and went to lunch. Came back into the shop and it sounded like wet Rice Crispies. Cells were breaking and splitting as we looked at them. Quickly took them outside and set them in a snow bank.

I definitely agree that you should protect green wood on the lathe from drying out if you're planning to leave it for any length of time. I wrap with a grocery store bag if I'm stopping mid turn for lunch or other distraction. But I do this in the summer too.

Agree with all the above comments. I spritz with water then cover the piece with a plastic grocery bag - When I first did this, I didn't get back out as planned and left it for a couple days. The wood was fine, no checks, but my chuck jaws had some surface rust.
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Wilson80 View Post
    Agree with all the above comments. I spritz with water then cover the piece with a plastic grocery bag - When I first did this, I didn't get back out as planned and left it for a couple days. The wood was fine, no checks, but my chuck jaws had some surface rust.
    Tom
    Is the center of a crotch prone to splitting? I tried to post pictures but not able to.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Elett View Post
    Is the center of a crotch prone to splitting? I tried to post pictures but not able to.
    Yes, absolutely. Lots of things pulling in different directions, it's a miracle when one doesn't split. Best hope is once-turned, get it as thin (and uniform) as possible as quickly as possible, then dry carefully.

I was turning some fresh green maple a few years ago and having a terrible time, finding it very difficult. After a while the light bulb came on and I realized it had been outside in single digit temperatures (Fahrenheit) and was very wet and frozen solid as a rock. After putting it in a plastic garbage bag and letting it thaw for a day it was back to normal easy turning for green wood.

Curious, what was the problem in posting a photo?

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Curious, what was the problem in posting a photo?
    I have not posted anything in quite some time, I guess that I have forgotten how.

Posting photos

I have not posted anything in quite some time, I guess that I have forgotten how.
    Posting a photo:

Prepare the photo (crop and reduce the file size if necessary)
    Click the "Insert Image" icon just above the message input area:

post_photos.jpg

Place the cursor where you want the photo in the message.
    Click "From Computer" if not selected then click the "Browse" button.
    Locate the directory and file on your computer, and click "Open" at the bottom of the dialog.
    Then click "Upload File(s)" below the "Browse" button on the Insert Image dialog.

JKJ

20220208_134350.jpgThis is the wood,but found very bad and knoted.i needed to go to full site to upload photos. I believe also this is oak and not maple, lol.

I just finished several crotch pieces of boxelder. It is cold here in Minnesota and they were fresh cut and stored outside. The humidity in my heated basement shop is only 10%. The first one I turned to 3/4-inch wall thickness and covered with anchor seal. It cracked within a few days. The others I have turned to about 3/8 inch, coated with shellac and none have cracked. Those with a good amount of the red covering I coated with two coats of water-based spar varnish and they have not cracked.