Thread: Hollowing system/Boring bar storage

Hollowing system/Boring bar storage

I have a Bosch hollowing system on the way. I am moving from my "jamieson" style captured rig. I have existing hollowing bars from that system and some new ones coming with the Bosch system. I
    How do you guys store your boring bars and hollowing systems? Either articulated or captured.

I have a Bosch hollowing system on the way. I am moving from my "jamieson" style captured rig. I have existing hollowing bars from that system and some new ones coming with the Bosch system. I don't want to just have them rolling around in a drawer. Here are the bars I will need to store.

- 1/2" straight Jordan bar
    - 1/2" swan Jordan neck

- 3/4" Bosch straight bar
    - 3/4" bosch bent bar (swan neck)
    - 3/4" extreme access bar (bosch's deeper curved swan neck bar)
    - 3/4" swan neck with teardrop scraper
    - 1" straight bar
    - Laser arm

If you have pictures that would be great too!!

Thanks
    Ricc

Simple Hollowing System has a wall mount for their articulating system that seems interesting, if you have the wall space. Just seems to be a metal plate with holes to accommodate the hollower. I use an underbed storage tote made by sterlite that has wheels. I roll it under my workbench when not in use. Not ideal because the tote is somewhat flimsy. I use the existing box the unit was shipped in for storage inside the tote. Works ok, but with the extra tools, there is nowhere to place them. I have thought about, and am contemplating using some kaizen foam inside the tote so I can cut out a place for each and every tool that is laying loose in the box. Maybe that could be a solution for your tools.
    Kaisen can be bought at numerous places. I found a pretty good deal on some from Rockler when they first started carrying it and bought several sheets to store some of my measuring tools. Cuts easily and now I can look into my storage boxes and find what I'm looking for instantly and also know when something is missing.
    My Dad always told me "Can't Never Could".

SWE

Trent Bosch has a promo video on YouTube for his hollowing video. Search for "Trent Bosch - Revelations in Hollowing". In the background of the video you can see how he's storing parts of his system, including the visualizer and stablizers. In another video, not sure it's on YouTube, he stores his un-handled boring bars in what look to be pieces of PVC pipe with an end cap, where he has all the say 1/2" bars in one piece of pipe. I'm working on re-doing my tool storage to be similar to his or I'd post some pics. Good luck.

EDIT: Found another clip from Trent that shows the PVC pipe storage system on YouTube. Search for "Trailer - Coloring and Scratching the Surface".

Paul
    Last edited by Paul Heely; 02-09-2022 at 6:45 AM.

Thanks Steve & Paul! I will check those out.

Anyone else have ideas to add. I'm sure others would appreciate them as much as I do!!