Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Router in TS wing

Router in TS wing

I am trying to decided whether to move my router to my TS wing or not. The reason is to make some room for a stand for my Drum sander.
    My question is for those of you that have a router in your TS wing. What are the pros and cons? If shop space was not an issue, I believe that it would be nice to have every device on it's own stand. But most of us have limited shop space. I have two options

1. Build an flip top stand for my Planer and the Drum sander.
    2. Place the router in the TS wing and the Drum sander will have it's own stand.

What are your thoughts?
    Thanks in advance.

John
    Hello, My name is John and I am a toolaholic

Hi John - I've been using TS mounted RTs for a couple of years now to save space...that's the primary incentive. It's also easy to use the main fence as a subfence, plus there's the advantage of having some extra table space for the saw when the router's not in use. The downside is storage and DC, but I built a roll in cabinet for mine that helps with DC and adds a little storage. If I had the space I'd go with a free standing RT, but I don't, so the saw mounted RT is working out pretty well.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Hi, John
    I've had 2 routers in my TS for many years and it works out very well, I seldom use the one on the right side. It saves some room in the shop.
    Earl

I have my router mounted in the wing of my table saw. I have a tiny shop (about 117 square feet) so I really had no option. I've used regular router tables and see no operational disadvantage to having the router as part of the table saw - in fact, the large space of the table saw top is nice. The only issue is that I can only use one at a time. If I'm in the middle of routing and need to cut some more wood, I generally have to tear down the router setup to do the cut.

All-in-all, I'm quite happy with the setup.

Mike

I'm quite happy with my TS mounted router as well. I can slide the Beis fence over and use it with the router (as long as I don't have to embed the bit! ) In that case, I have another fence the I just clamp in place. I had a cheapie Craftsman router table that I built a cabinet for, and wound up never using it. It's just handier for me to have the router in the TS. I wound up taking the router table off the cabinet and mounting my 10" band saw on it.

I have the router on the right side of my TS as well, and it certainly does save space, but I am looking into building a dedicated router table. Maybe I just don't plan well enough, but it seems that I always need to do a rip cut halfway through running a stack of wood through the router. Just my $.02.

I have both and the TS extension has much better dust collection than the freestanding table....at least until I build the cabinet under it. It also creates another work surface and in my16x20 shop, that's a plus!

I have the Benchdog TS extension router table and love it. An easy bolt-on, it has a good fence plus you have the option to use the TS fence. Also, you have a nice large surface for the work piece.

One of the issues that I worried about was having the router set up and needing to use the TS. However the router bit will about 24" to the right of the TS blade, so I am hoping that the problem will not exist too often. For DC I bought this sometime ago on sale from Woodpecker for $59.

Thanks for the comments.
    Hello, My name is John and I am a toolaholic

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    I put mine in my old Cman TS wing and kept the saw just for the router table and Bies fence (Nobody wanted the saw ) After upgrading to a PM66. Works good and you need a new Toyl.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

I have my router on the right side of my TS with a sliding table on the left. If I ever redo this set up I would mount the router on the left side of the TS so I could use the TS outfeed table for outfeed support for the router. I agree with the others that the router setup occasionally gets in the way of using the TS.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I built a router cabinet on casters and realized I didn't quite have space for it in my garage (now smaller basement) shop. I raised my table saw up to just above the router cabinet surface, and the router cabinet is now a great mobile outfeed table.

I have a 32" Bies. fence, and I just wouldn't like having the router in the way when I want to maintain a setup while also using the saw.

Edit: I would choose option #1.
    Last edited by Andy Fox; 01-18-2006 at 12:54 PM.

South-central PA (30 min W of Gettysburg)
    I was able to scavange some laminated particleboard from a CVS drug store closing so I can finally built this table (with a bit of support for the particleboard!). I designed a dust collection box for the underside of the table but was wondering about the top side. Where do you get the best collection - top or bottom? Or is this like the TS - you really need both.

TIA,
    Chiz

I don't have this arrangement...it would be interefered with by my overarm guard/collector and also make placement of the saw difficult in my shop. I also like the fact that my free-standing (mobile) router table is also available as extra outfeed surface, assembly space, etc. But in many shops, my space issues would not apply.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I had a seperate woodpecker router table until I bought a cabinet saw. I couldn't fit both so I mounted the router table in the right side extension. I tosssed the extension table that came with the saw. I like this setup better. Much bigger table area. I can use the outfeed table for router operations. I can use the B-meyer fence or the Incra TS fence depending on what I need to do. Its the best of both worlds.

~mark