Thread: Distilled water shortage?

Distilled water shortage?

Hi. So in the news they have said there is a distilled water shortage. Where I live it seems to be true. I can't find it anywhere locally. What do you think , or have any of you used the at home distiller machines. They range from $80 and into the hundreds? Your thoughts.

I think this would be interesting to new engravers also. Also alternates?
    Redsail x700, 50watt & Shenhui 350, 50 watt

A still is a very simple piece of equipment, I suppose it depends how much water you need. Stills are very energy intensive, and potentially consume a lot of other water, assuming water cooling to condense the steam. If its electrically operated it will probably cost you several times per gallon in power what the store-bought gallons cost.

A deionizer might be a more practical solution for home use. I haven't looked into the small home units; we had relatively small ones in the lab that could produce 10 MΩ water at a couple liters a minute or so, but they were not cheap.

Another question is how pure do you need your water to be? I've never checked the store stuff, but I know that singly distilled water isn't good enough for most things one does in a lab.

A couple of the local grocery stores near me are out of distilled water, but Whole Foods had a bunch.

I just picked up a couple of gallons about 3 weeks ago at a grocery store, who had plenty--that was after leaving Walmart without any as they didn't. My guess is this 'shortage' is just basic supply chain slowdown and not an 'actual' shortage...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Same area

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    I just picked up a couple of gallons about 3 weeks ago at a grocery store, who had plenty--that was after leaving Walmart without any as they didn't. My guess is this 'shortage' is just basic supply chain slowdown and not an 'actual' shortage...
    Kev, I believe you and I are in the same area. Which grocery store? And on the local news they had a news story about the distilled water shortage. And they explained why. But they did say there was 1 grocery store that had some in SLC, but I did not catch the name.

I also think it has not hit some areas yet.

got it at Maceys- which I don't normally shop at but it was the first store on my home after Walmart--
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter

Blog Entries
    Distilled water has been in short supply for a year. My wife uses a gallon or so a month in her Mpap machine. If you are worried about your laser tube and plain water, I've had plain tap water in my CW5000 for 4 plus years with no ill effects and I've got hard water. I did top up in November with a half gallon I stole from my wife. You CAN get RO water at most groceries, Walmarts for sure. It is not quite distilled, but Reverse Osmosis removes almost all minerals which you would be worried about.
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

I've heard of several people with lasers in un-heated garages or shops who use RV antifreeze in their laser tubes without issue. For that matter 'winter solution' windshield washer fluid should work okay too...
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    I've heard of several people with lasers in un-heated garages or shops who use RV antifreeze in their laser tubes without issue. For that matter 'winter solution' windshield washer fluid should work okay too...
    I used RV Antifreeze for quite some time with no issues. I've heard all kinds of theories about the PH level of it causing issues, etc. but never had any myself. APLazer also has an antifreeze that's supposedly Specially formulated for laser use... https://aplazer.com/shop/laser-acces...reeze-coolant/
    Epilog Fusion Pro 48 - 120 Watt
    OMG Laser 60W JPT MOPA Fiber
    Mimaki UJF-6042MkII e UV Printer

Hey. So I now use RV non-toxic antifreeze. It has no ethanol which as I understand it can reduce your overall power. Also I got unit that cleans the water and removes lead and copper, as well a purifies. Seem to work well as an alternative to my distilled water problem.

I get mine for use in my humidors at the local CVS.

Krogers had none on the shelf yesterday, off to Walmart this morning to find some