Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I am a tool-aholic!

I am a tool-aholic!

Lucky for me, my wife is a pushover if I need a new tool. Of course, the general requirements for each new project are (1) spill some blood, and (2) a new tool. That being said, this time I am here to crow about a tool I have had for a few years. A number of years ago I bought a Bosch laser level that projects both a vertical and horizontal laser line. Originally, I bought it to use to hang cabinets in my shop, pictures and paintings in our home. Currently I am tiling a shower in a "brick/running bond" pattern. What an amazing help that laser is to keep the pattern correct between the 3 walls of the shower!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Good on ya Ken. I too have been guilty of using the new project for a new tool reasoning. My wife no longer questions these things, so I am lucky as well. Always good to find the sweet spot for a tool in your kit.

I think I have the same level. How are you "mounting" it to project a horizontal line?
    Regards,

Kris

My usual caveat, I don’t know how to do this and I need to get a tool. I have a cheap Black and Decker that is awful. The Bosch looks very capable.

Hubby and I operate on the "my shop, my choice" plan. He chooses and picks the items and equipment he wants in his shop, which is primarily motorcycle rebuilds (1975 Norton Commando 850 at the moment) and I do the same in mine. If it is a big ticket item of something over a couple grand we mention it to the other before buying it.

I have a cheap Black and Decker that is awful
    This right here is what's wrong with Black and Decker.
    They are like Harbor Freight - very inconsistent.

I was in Lowes one Sunday morning and the manager came on the PA and announced that all Black and Decker on the closeout shelves would be an additional 50% off for the next hour.
    I picked up a laser level that came with a free battery powered screwdriver for about $10 - maybe less.

The thing has been fantastic. Crude for sure, but , it works great.
    The real gem though was the screwdriver. I used that thing to death. It was just the right torque to snug things up & then lock the bit and finish things off manually.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

I've been accumulating quite a few myself. Now that the kids are raised and money is not as tight, when I need a tool I just buy it. The cottage renovation required some new and upgraded tools. Tile saw, 12" miter saw, new step ladder and a lot of new hand tools. With what I was saving doing it myself, I could justify it.

Blog Entries
    My wife buys me really nice tools. I got this for Christmas:
    https://bridgecitytools.com/products...moothing-plane

Then there was the Christmas where she got me aBosch Glide. When that didn’t work out, she was sorry and gave me a Sawstop ICS.

I think most of us can relate Ken. Getting a new tool is always good. I used to say when I was still working and always managed to find a sharp corner/edge or whatever that it wasn't worth doing if I couldn't spill a little blood. As we age our skin seems to scratch, tear, or puncture easier too. I've thought a laser level would be nice more than once but haven't pulled the trigger yet.

Professor Dr. SWMBO has never ever questioned any kind of tool or appliance I've purchased...something I'm thankful for. And she's not squeamish about buying tool type things that are on my "Christmas List" each year, either. I think is is because my first real woodworking project was her cherry desk in 1998 (years before we were married) that's still in use today and the fact that I actually use the things. All is good.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Candy used to occasionally question me about my tool purchases. Not much any more.

One of my recent purchases at an antique store was a Goodell-Pratt #5-1/2 two speed eggbeater drill. The person wanted $30 and we haggled down to $20. After cleaning it up, painting it and working on the speed shifter a bit it has become my favorite eggbeater drill.

Took it back and showed the guy. He lamented that he wished he knew more about old tools and displayed a bit of obvious seller's remorse.

Also having bought tools and selling them for more than paid has impressed her some.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 02-06-2022 at 11:14 AM. Reason: corrected error
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Also having bought tools and selling them for more than paid has impressed her some.
    jtk
    Tools do seem to be a decent investment. Other stuff depreciates the moment you buy it. Furniture comes to mind. But tools, especially used tools hold their value well. Some years ago, we did a video tour of the house and shop to document our holdings for insurance purposes. We should do that again…

Then there is the whole issue of having space to store all your tools.......................

Never had to answer to anyone in fact there is lots in my shop that came from a lady friend. I appreciate all of it whenever I use it. Black and Decker made great tools. I have a black and decker worm drive. Its very old, it weighs as much as a small car. My Rockwell belt sander is the same. Focus went from quality for the money to money. Its the new world odour. Same with stanley, old guy gave me his hand tools the old stuff is good. I have a blocker on my visa that stops me from buying certain brands. Last mistake I bought several choices to try and from Lee. Out of the package it was useless, took photos showed them and they said keep it and sent the money back. I drove to the city to give it back and told them I dont want it in my shop. Sure they think im nuts I dont care.

Never owned any tool that cost me anything. Because I was in a business, they all paid their way. Most were bought used, for pennies on the dollar. I would rather have a QUALITY used tool than a new junker. I do own a few HF tools that have gone beyond what I expected. Bought a set of "thumb ratchets" today at HF ($5.99,) one of which (the 3/8) will reside in our van.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Citerone View Post
    Then there is the whole issue of having space to store all your tools.......................
    I expect most will have some catching up to do. I've been buying tools to do all sorts of things for over 50 years. There are multiple buildings, and sheds full of them, and mostly well organized. All have had their cost deducted though. I do need to build some more buildings.