Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Epoxy: a tip

Epoxy: a tip

Hi folks,

if you are like me, and occasionally use epoxy and really appreciate it when it is the right tool for the job, BUT do not love mixing it up, and have occasionally gotten the ratios wrong with resultant problems…

…RUN, don’t walk, to pick up the System 3 gun, cartridge and mixing nozzle of either their Quickcure, or T88, depending on your project’s need. I used mine for the first time on a project this weekend and it is sooo nice. Insert the cartridge, stick on the nozzle, prime it, and then squeeze the trigger to release however much epoxy you need, perfectly mixed, in a very well controlled stream/bead. When you are done easily remove the cartridge and reseal it with the included cap.

it is a little pricey but so convenient.
    Last edited by Dan Gaylin; 02-05-2022 at 5:20 PM.

Thanks Dan. I didnt even know you could get T-88 in 50 ml cartridges.
    < insert spurious quote here >

Stan,

yeah I had seen these systems with some pretty expensive 3M pro grade adhesives when I was trying to find a rather specialized one for very strong metal to metal bonds. Then I saw the System Three units and I bought one some months ago. But I hadn’t broken it out because it was another step and unfamiliar. So I was still doing it “the old way”. Finally this weekend I decided to try it and I was just amazed at how well the whole thing works.

Do you need to put on a brand new mixing tip each time you use the epoxy? -Howard

Howard,

yes a fresh nozzle each time. A six pack of nozzles sells for about $9

Seems to me there is a lot of waste with that system.

I understand the convenience though.

A bit wasteful, but you can run a tiny bead right where you need it. The guns have gotten cheaper than they used to be, but I bought mine from Golfworks, along with the nozzles. I use a number of the 3M DP adhesives for different things.

https://www.golfworks.com/epoxy-mixi...gers/p/vb1005/

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    A bit wasteful, but you can run a tiny bead right where you need it. The guns have gotten cheaper than they used to be, but I bought mine from Golfworks, along with the nozzles. I use a number of the 3M DP adhesives for different things.

https://www.golfworks.com/epoxy-mixi...gers/p/vb1005/
    Can do that too with this and toothpick :

https://www.acehardware.com/departme...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

-or—

This if ya really love the mixing tube.

https://www.rockler.com/loctite-quic...SABEgJtrvD_BwE

Blog Entries
    I am too cheap to use the mix tips much. I also don't like to waste the glue that is left inside. I use 5 to 1 and 1 to 1 double barrel guns for foundation repair and Corian fabrication. The mix tips work best when I need a lot and am able to pump fast. I use a digital scale and old yogurt cups for woodworking. The double tubes work fine without the mix tips too, I just squeeze into a yogurt cup or dixie cup. It is easy to contaminate the tube either way.

I wouldn't have wanted to glue the plastic fender on my dually back together with a toothpick. I forgot to take pictures past that day.

There are several things around the farm here held together in similar fashion.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    I wouldn't have wanted to glue the plastic fender on my dually back together with a toothpick. I forgot to take pictures past that day.

There are several things around the farm here held together in similar fashion.
    Nice sandbag there.

You said a tiny bit , not a thin bead running for two counties.

Cleaver repair though. Prob. shoulda bought a Ford though.

I've been driving that truck since Nov. 2000. It has 357,000 miles on it. No truck payment for over 21 years. It's one of the few things I've ever bought that ended up being better than I thought it would be.

I put layers of fiberglass cloth, and mat saturated with West Systems under that fender to make it much stiffer. That's what the mixing cup on the cardboard was for.

Edited to add: I test drove a Ford, but didn't want a loud diesel.
    Last edited by Tom M King; 02-06-2022 at 12:14 PM.

I used double sided releasable tape, and mixing sticks to keep the surface aligned as close as I could until the DP 1000 (or 100-don't remember exactly) kicked. Probably used 2 dozen mixing nozzles, and a couple of duotubes of DP1000.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Since I have owned boats I've been using System 3 for years and I bought the pumps that attach to the containers. Mixes it in the right proportions. I also have mixed it with the fillers for extra bonding and making fairings. Used to have to order it but the local Woodcrafters store stocks it now. Great stuff. Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sabo View Post
    Seems to me there is a lot of waste with that system.

I understand the convenience though.
    I just like the idea of getting the mixture ratio right without messy measuring or eyeballing it. I always end up with too much and wasting it anyway.
    < insert spurious quote here >