Thread: Color Filling Laser Engraved Image -- Need Your Suggestions on Best Paint

Color Filling Laser Engraved Image -- Need Your Suggestions on Best Paint

Hello, Everyone. I have a unique problem I'm trying to solve.

I make a line of very high-end guitar picks. We're six years in business, doing very well, and our products range from $30-100 each.

We are now in the process of laser-engraving our products with our Shamrock logo (the company name is Charmed Life Picks). Below is what one of our products looks like before any attempted color fill.

I was working with a really cool guy who color-filled a few picks for me (see photos below). However, he used acrylic, but my gut tells me that over a few weeks the guitar player will wear away the color. Here's what he did for us.

I love the look of this, but I'm pretty certain I need a more durable and long-lasting paint. We have customers who've had our picks over five years, and I can't imagine this kind of paint holding up.

What would you recommend? If you have a certain kind of paint in mind, please include a link as well if possible.

3M makes a clear, flexible epoxy for marine applications that may look very well, but I'd prefer to avoid the messiness and time-prep of Epoxy. However, if that's the best solution, I'll make it work.

Thanks in Advance,
    Scott
    Last edited by Scott Memmer; 02-05-2022 at 4:15 AM.

If you don't want to mess with epoxy, and I don't blame you, good durable paint of most kinds need mixed with a catalyst. But paints are less messy than epoxies to mix, epoxy is so yucky sticky to work with. The most durable paint I can think of off the top of my head is Imron. You could probably make your picks out of it!
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    If you don't want to mess with epoxy, and I don't blame you, good durable paint of most kinds need mixed with a catalyst. But paints are less messy than epoxies to mix, epoxy is so yucky sticky to work with. The most durable paint I can think of off the top of my head is Imron. You could probably make your picks out of it!
    Kev, thanks as always for the great info. I didn't see an Imron paint that was the very specific lime green I'm seeking, but it's good to know, and it sent me off to look at other industrial paints.

Do you know if the Imron is flexible at all? Some of our thinner picks (under 1.0 mm thick) need to flex. That's why I'm thinking this flexible marine 3M marine Epoxy is probably at least worth experimenting with. I'll try to futz with it over the next week and post some photos. One thing I like about the Epoxy approach is I can sand it down to the surface of the pick face and buff and polish it. If it looks really cool, it might be worth messing with.

I know the answer is out there. As I often say, we're not building the Space Shuttle. Just more trial and error. One thing we have to do is have the most durable marking in the industry. Most picks sell for less than a buck. We need to be a leader here as well.

Thanks Again
    sm

Just googled, Imron makes a flexible paint, in a spray can even- https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...1ZLkacLT6IRrZv

More than a few times in my life I've sprayed paint into a cup just to use a brush to apply it, which makes it convenient at least -- this stuff might be worth a try if you can get the color you need. This sheet says 'available in thousands of solid and metallic colors', so maybe--?
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter

Just googled, Imron makes a flexible paint, in a spray can even- https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...1ZLkacLT6IRrZv

More than a few times in my life I've sprayed paint into a cup just to use a brush to apply it, which makes it convenient at least -- this stuff might be worth a try if you can get the color you need. This sheet says 'available in thousands of solid and metallic colors', so maybe--?
    Terrific research, Kev. So appreciative of your efforts. I will keep you in the loop on this.

Will probably still play with the Epoxy, see how that works.

Sending you a PM on an unrelated matter.

You play guitar?

Thanks!
    Scott
    Last edited by Scott Memmer; 02-06-2022 at 12:03 AM.

Nope, fingers are too short

I DID once engrave a pick mold for someone who was making them for a local metal band-
    this was the logo I had to work with--
    disforia.jpg

My aluminum test piece and silly-putty test--
    dismold2.jpg
    dismold.jpg

Not too bad considering that much detail in 3/4" of space, and tool engraved too... was before I had fiber lasers
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter

Nope, fingers are too short

I DID once engrave a pick mold for someone who was making them for a local metal band-
    this was the logo I had to work with--
    disforia.jpg

My aluminum test piece and silly-putty test--
    dismold2.jpg
    dismold.jpg

Not too bad considering that much detail in 3/4" of space, and tool engraved too... was before I had fiber lasers
    Ke

Nice work, Kev.

On the short fingers thing, you'd still probably play better than half the people I know. There's some real stinkers out there.

sm

Here's the latest iteration. This is Acrylic, which I expect not to last long-term. However, if it wears off we still have a beautiful laser-engraved image underneath it. We'll ship some out to our best customers and see what happens.

What's likely to happen, isn't so much the paint wearing off, but the engraving filling up with dirt & guck from the player's fingers-- which is easy enough to clean with some soap and water-- hopefully
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter

That makes sense. Hope you're right. Gonna put some out to some of my best customers and ask them to watch what happens. The good news is, if it wears off eventually you still have the engraving underneath. The engraved logo, when you buff and shine the black material, looks pretty swift.

Sending you a laser-related PM.

sm

Wondering if UV cured clear plastic resin would work? Amazon has a few to chose from and you will need a UV light not UV LED flashlight.
    Last edited by Bill George; 02-19-2022 at 5:03 PM.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    Wondering if UV cured clear plastic resin would work? Amazon has a few to chose from and you will need a UV light not UV LED flashlight.
    I have some UV clear casting resin ordered, and they do have colors in a separate kit so you could experiment. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09GFS2SFZ...t_details&th=1
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10