Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Krenov Style Apron Plane

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Mcmurry View Post
    Neat-O! The images are great! Lovely work!
    Thanks! I'll be making more after these if you or anyone else is interested send me a PM.
    DJO Furniture Maker / Timberwerks Studio

Update:

The planes are shaped and ready for sanding and blade fitting. I still need to make the Curly Maple wedges as well. Pictured is a Beech wedge for trial fit. I'm not sure how much further I'll get on these this weekend but I do know they will be fit & finished next weekend. Sorry for the poor photos, the lens on my phone is cloudy.

These four planes are spoken for. If your interested in one for yourself send me a message. They are $125.00 and take 4 -6 weeks since I only have limited time on the weekends to work on them. These are small block / apron planes with 1" Hock blades.

E1.jpg

E2.jpg

E3.jpg

One last photo for the weekend. I was able to make the Curly Maple wedges and they look great against the sunlight and Ebony. They will get cut to length next weekend.

CMW.jpg
    Last edited by Dale Osowski; 03-13-2022 at 6:07 PM.

Some nice rift sawn Cocobolo came home with me today. Great colors with a some sap wood and and a bit of spalting. Should be enough for two or three apron planes.

CC.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Dettinger View Post
    Dale, do you prefer that we contact you off forum to inquire about purchase, or are you going to offer the planes on the forum as they become available? Is a USPS MO acceptable?

Thanks and 73,
    Rick
    Hi Rick

Are you still interested in a plane? If so they will be finished this weekend and I can ship out Saturday the 26th. Because of my work hours I can only make it to the post office on Saturdays. I'll honor the $110, shipping included for this first batch since it is what I initially posted before the hybrid pin was added vs a round pin. Following planes will be $125.00 shipping included.

Thanks,
    Dale

The Gaboon Ebony apron planes are done. They look & feel great! I'm going to give one a trial for a few weeks before I let the other ones leave. This way I can see how well the Ebony performs along with the hybrid pin and Curly Maple wedge. I don't foresee any problems but still want to make sure there is no chipping on the Ebony sole or blade slippage.

P1.jpg

P2.jpg

P3.jpg

P4.jpg

P5.jpg

P6.jpg
    Last edited by Dale Osowski; 03-20-2022 at 2:52 PM.

Today I got a start on the second batch of apron planes. These will all have Gaboon Ebony for the main body of the plane. The sides will be Cocobolo, East Indian Rosewood, Bubinga, Curly Maple and Birdseye Maple. Laminated between the main body and sides will be .005" brass sheet. The hybrid wedge pins will be Gaboon Ebony with 3/16" brass rod. The wedges will be Gaboon Ebony as well.

B1.jpg

B2.jpg

B3.jpg

B4.jpg

Well, the .005" brass between the body and sides of the next batch of apron planes is a no go. I did have some hopes but more doubts that the brass would bond well and I was proven correct. The Ebony and brass were both sanded to a rough texture and the brass was dampened as per Gorillas Glue Clear specs but the bond isn't up to standards. The glue did hold well to the Ebony though.

L2.jpg

L3.jpg

I really want to keep the brass so I'll be using epoxy and that should take care of bonding the brass without concern.

Mmm, using a bronze plane to plane Ebony for a wood plane. Something feels off about this. Kind of like wiping your butt before you poop. 🙂

P1.jpg

Yet another failure of bonding brass to Ebony. This is the third and final strike. The first attempt was with using Gorilla Glue clear to bond .005" brass to Ebony. The second attempt was using System Three 15 minute epoxy and .010" brass and curing for 6 hours. The third and final attempt was the same System Three 15 minute on .016" brass and 24 hours of cure time, same failure.

All attempts were made sanding both the Ebony & the brass to 150 grit and cleaning all surfaces with acetone or denatured alcohol. There is no problem with either the Gorilla Glue or System Three bonding to the Ebony but with only light to moderate pressure the brass pulls off easily. I won't attempt a fourth time but curious as to what others have used for a successful bond.

G1.jpg
    Last edited by Dale Osowski; 04-03-2022 at 6:39 PM.

Are these plates for the sole or sides? If sole, could you use thicker plates and affix with slot screws?

Quote Originally Posted by Rafael Herrera View Post
    Are these plates for the sole or sides? If sole, could you use thicker plates and affix with slot screws?
    These were to be between the main body and the wood sides as a decorative feature. I had the brass on hand so I figured it was worth doing on about 6 planes or so. Now that I'm out of brass I'll go without.

Now that my table saw is up & running again I can get back to work on the second batch of apron planes. Pictured is the Ebony bodies with Cocobolo and Bubinga sides.

P1.jpg

P2.jpg

This plane making thing is getting a bit addictive.

S1.jpg

S2.jpg

S3.jpg