Thread: Lesson learned. Measure Everything... Stanley changed chisel length

Lesson learned. Measure Everything... Stanley changed chisel length

I own many different brands of chisels, some expensive, some cheap. I like to keep a cheap set of chisels around for rough projects or for loaners. My usual cheap chisel is the Stanley 16-150.

https://www.stanleytools.com/product...-pc?tid=575911
    https://www.amazon.com/Stanley-16-15.../dp/B00002X1YO

I usually buy them for $5 or less on sale. I have given away many of these sets for people who just want a set around but will not use them much.

I found the Stanley STHT16727, which looks to be exactly the same chisel. Curious about that, but not why I chose to write this.

https://www.stanleytools.com/product...ood-chisel-set

I have two unopened 16-150 sets and one STHT16727 set. I did not realize they were different sets because they look the same. I decided to give a set to a friend who has no chisels and I decided to make a box. I randomly chose a set and opened the package to take measurements. I then made a box to hold the chisels. I used Wenge for the sides and then some Cherry, African Mahogany, and Hard Maple for the tops (I made three boxes).

When I was done, I found out that the 16-150 copyright 2015 made in China is shorter (1/2 to 3/4 inches) than the 16-150 made in China Copyright 2019 and the STHT16727 Copyright 2021 made in Vietnam sets so only one set will fix in a box. It never occurred to me that these would be different lengths. The two longer sets are the same length.

Sure, I could grind down the blade 1/2 inch and they would fit, but that just seems wrong. I still might do it since I used good wood and hand cut dovetails, there is time invested compared to the cost of the cheap chisels.

chisel_box_PXL_20220629_145728661.jpgchisel_box_PXL_20220629_145733820.jpgchisel_box_PXL_20220629_145745113.jpg

I can almost make the longer chisels fit by carving out the sides, but that is very risky with Wenge and I would not be happy with the thickness.

Also, I will add something to pop the grain a bit on the cherry. But not my usual oil / garnet shellac. I will probably just use a wax I have designed for wood workers. Won't look as nice as the other, but I think it will suffice.

Wenge and other expensive wood boxes for $5 chisels? Seems counterintuitive. Make another box out of poplar and let the box match the chisels.

Why not just buy another set that works with the box? At $5 this seems like the simplest solution.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew More View Post
    Why not just buy another set that works with the box? At $5 this seems like the simplest solution.
    Problem is that the newer models are the longer chisels so I would need to find an older model somewhere. Without some sort of super sale, it is more like $12 or $13, but, yeah, that would be a good solution.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    Wenge and other expensive wood boxes for $5 chisels? Seems counterintuitive. Make another box out of poplar and let the box match the chisels.
    Using up wood I have on hand. When I made toothpick boxes my Sister said that she wanted the darkest wood possible. I chose Wenge, did not want to attempt Ebony (to work it or pay for it). I had Wenge let over so I used it. The rest of my Wenge I think will go in my burn bin.

Poplar is easier to work of course! I will probably work with something from my scrap bin, however. I still have Leopard wood (I think it is Leopard), some wood that is labeled mahogany (it was given to me years ago, perhaps just use it up).... I also have oak, pecan, and poplar in my scrap bin. I burned more than half my scrap bin this year because it is just too much.

Blog Entries
    This is similar to a problem that happened to me.

Two DMT 1"X4" diamond plates were purchased. One was used a little.

A friend's birthday was coming up and one of the things to be given to him was one of the diamond plates mounted on a block of mahogany. The block was made to fit the lightly used plate. When the block was finished the unopened plate was taken out and was totally different in size. With no time to make a new block and reworking the block not being an option my friend was sent the lightly used plate mounted on the block.

Mounted Diamond Stone.jpg

It worked out fine.

I bought a similar inexpensive set of Stanley chisels years ago. Not sure if they were given away or if they are still in the shop.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    This is similar to a problem that happened to me.

Two DMT 1"X4" diamond plates were purchased. One was used a little.

A friend's birthday was coming up and one of the things to be given to him was one of the diamond plates mounted on a block of mahogany. The block was made to fit the lightly used plate. When the block was finished the unopened plate was taken out and was totally different in size. With no time to make a new block and reworking the block not being an option my friend was sent the lightly used plate mounted on the block.
    Should be fine. The DMT stones seem to hold up very well. I have been using an Extra Coarse stone to flatten water stones for many many years. This last weekend I realized that it is working very very slowly so I just ordered another diamond stone to use for flattening.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    I bought a similar inexpensive set of Stanley chisels years ago. Not sure if they were given away or if they are still in the shop.
    I am down to only two sets, the set my Father purchased back in the 70's and one that I purchased last year. The rest I have given away in boxes that I made.

I heard back from Stanley on the differences between the STHT16727 (new and improved) and the 16-150:

Regarding the length of the tool, we can't really assure why this changed, however, sometimes it's to improve the quality and efficiency of the products. Also, the difference between the model STHT16727 and 16-150 it's that the model STHT16727 is the newest and upgraded model, also the materials could be different so this could last longer with you.
    However, please keep in mind that is up to you what which one you decide to buy according to your preferences, also I'm gonna set a report about your feedback regarding the length.
    Valentina Santa (STANLEY® TOOLS)
    Jul 12, 2022, 11:40 EDT
    Hello Andrew,

Thank you for contacting STANLEY® TOOLS

Regarding the length of the tool, we can't really assure why this changed, however, sometimes it's to improve the quality and efficiency of the products. Also, the difference between the model STHT16727 and 16-150 it's that the model STHT16727 is the newest and upgraded model, also the materials could be different so this could last longer with you.

However, please keep in mind that is up to you what which one you decide to buy according to your preferences, also I'm gonna set a report about your feedback regarding the length.

In case this email does not fully answer your question, or you would like to contact us for any reason, simply reply to this email.

Sometimes....comparing NOS chisels to existing vintage ones......all depends on how many sharpenings the Vintage chisels went through...
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    Sometimes....comparing NOS chisels to existing vintage ones......all depends on how many sharpenings the Vintage chisels went through...
    In this case, all chisels were purchased new and in packaging. I opened one package and measured and it turned out that the set I opened was shorter than the other two sets. Now my really old set, that is another question entirely.