Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Krenov Style Apron Plane

Krenov Style Apron Plane

Attention to my woodworking friends! I have a fair amount of Gaboon Ebony cutoffs I've collected over the years and I'm looking to put them to good use. I'm thinking about making a number of small Krenov style apron / block planes that would be available for sale. They would be made of Gaboon Ebony with a Curly Maple wedge with either a 1/4" brass or aluminum pin. They would include a 1" Hock blade. Overall size approximately 5.75" L X 1.5"W X 1-1/8" H. They would ship Priority Mail, razor sharp & ready to make shavings. I'm thinking $110.00 total.
    Is this something that would interest you? Shown is my current plane I use often to fit drawers, doors and many other small tasks.
    All comments welcome. I'm going to order a couple Hock blades either way and make a couple prototypes.

K6.jpg

K5.jpg

K2.jpg
    DJO Furniture Maker / Timberwerks Studio

Well. I just ordered four Hock blades so I can move forward on making these with the Ebony bodies, Curly Maple wedge and aluminum pins. I may even offer or include Rosewood wedges as well but I think the Curly Maple with the Ebony and aluminum would look pretty nice!

I'd prefer to make my own in that size. But the one you show is handsome and the ebony will be very nice too. Around $100 is competitive in price with a new, quality metal apron plane. It would be fun to post a couple here and see how quickly they sell.

Good luck!
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    I'd prefer to make my own in that size. But the one you show is handsome and the ebony will be very nice too. Around $100 is competitive in price with a new, quality metal apron plane. It would be fun to post a couple here and see how quickly they sell.

Good luck!
    Fred
    Thanks! I figure it's worth a try. The Ebony I have on hand is actually of very high quality, kiln dried and has spent over 10 years in storage. These cut offs are from a pool cue maker and it's ashame not to put them to good use.

Dale, do you prefer that we contact you off forum to inquire about purchase, or are you going to offer the planes on the forum as they become available? Is a USPS MO acceptable?

Thanks and 73,
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Dettinger View Post
    Dale, do you prefer that we contact you off forum to inquire about purchase, or are you going to offer the planes on the forum as they become available? Is a USPS MO acceptable?

Thanks and 73,
    Rick
    Hi Rick

Yes, I will offer them here for sale once I have them made. Sure, money order or Paypal will be fine. Once I have them made I want to put one to a performance test before listing them.

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Osowski View Post
    Well. I just ordered four Hock blades so I can move forward on making these with the Ebony bodies, Curly Maple wedge and aluminum pins. I may even offer or include Rosewood wedges as well but I think the Curly Maple with the Ebony and aluminum would look pretty nice!
    Dale, your little plane looks nice, but I would not refer to it as a Krenov-style, rather a laminated construction. The heart of a Krenov plane is the cross-pin, which is designed to present a flat face to the wedge. Round pins have a habit of denting the wedge, and this causes them to get stuck at that point.

I own one of Jim Krenov’s planes.

Here is a Krenov cross pin I made …

A small smoother (high angle) and a low angle block plane ….

Change the cross pin and you will have a better, more authentic plane. Either make a wooden version, or use wider round stock and file a flat side.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Last edited by Derek Cohen; 02-06-2022 at 7:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    Change the cross pin and you will have a better, more authentic plane. Either make a wooden version, or use wider round stock and file a flat side.
    Derek, I see the difference and I understand your point Sir. But a round pin is not uncommon in some pretty good quality kits. I used a kit from Veritas and it has a round pin, and I noticed Hock's kits also use a round pin. Not Krenovian, for sure, but my Veritas kit works very well and the wedge is fine (undented).

Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I've thought about making a wood Krenov pin and I still may. Here is my radiused plane with Krenov style pin. I'm thinking more about time / cost, the round pin does perform well though.

P1.jpg
    Last edited by Dale Osowski; 02-06-2022 at 7:21 PM.

I'm thinking in terms of turning a large diameter pin (3/4"?), including the 1/4" tenons on the end. Then, plane down the flat spot as required.

Rick

First turn a 3/4” diameter cylinder. The tenons are each ¼” in diameter.

The cylinder now needs to be shaped …

1. 2. 3. 4. 5. 6.

Hope this helps.

Regards from Perth

Derek

I'm thinking about doing a hybrid pin. The body would be the U shaped wood but drilled to receive the 1/4" aluminum rod. It would save a little time.

Would it work to simply file a flat face on the aluminum pin? One would have to align the flat with the blade. Making the Krenov style pin without a lathe always as seemed difficult in my imagination-Howard

Hand made planes are priced in the hundreds of dollars range, some new infill planes go for thousands of dollars. Laminated planes don't rock my boat, but I'd think a plane like the one you're talking about would be worth more than a hundred dollars.

Check out Steve Voight's planes (http://www.voigtplanes.com/coffin.html) and Old Street Tool (http://www.voigtplanes.com/coffin.html) among others.

Nice looking plane. I'd be tempted.

David Finck's book on making wooden planes has a method for making the Krenov style pin with a plug cutter (and drill press) that works well.

https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop...g-plug-cutters

https://lostartpress.com/products/ma...evised-edition

Best,
    Chris
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra