Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Krenov Style Apron Plane

Even though I have a Tormek T8 I'm going to give the Scary Sharp System a try. All the blades in the photo have already been flattened & sharpened on the T8 so it will be interesting to see if Scary Sharp will produce even a better edge.

SS.jpg
    DJO Furniture Maker / Timberwerks Studio

The new honing guide arrived. It's really a very nice guide for the money. It's machined well and holds the blades perfectly square and tight. My Veritas guide is also nice but setting the blade square can be a bit of a pain. This is the reason for the new guide.

H1.jpg

H2.jpg

Hi Guys

Just a quick update on shipping out batch 2. I'm still running a bit behind due to my schedule at work. Once this week is over I'll be able to get back on track since I'll have more time to spend in my studio. Speaking of work, I found a couple cut offs that are actually Maple skateboard laminations. I'm thinking these may make some interesting looking planes, Ebony bodies with the laminated sides. Once I get back on schedule I think I'll make 4 of them and see if there is any interest in these.

Thanks for your patience with batch 2.

L1.jpg

L2.jpg

L3.jpg

A quick update on batch two of the apron planes. Today was the first day I had a chance to spend time in the studio for awhile and I made some progress. The blades are all sharpened, wedges are shaped & fitted and I'm currently in the process of opening up the mouths to accept small shavings.

The side by side photo of the blade shows before sharping on left, after on right.

P6.jpg

P5.jpg

P4.jpg

P3.jpg

P2.jpg

P1.jpg

Well, I finally made it to the finish line with batch two. Now to wait a few days for finish to cure before final buffing and they'll be ready to ship out Saturday. This batch turned out great and really look fantastic! It's tough to tell from the photos but there is a plane in the group that has the Ebony body & Rosewood sides. This one has such a nice look to it in person.

Batch three will start soon. Two of the planes from this batch are reserved and the others will be put up for sale once they are done.

S1.jpg

S2.jpg

S3.jpg

S4.jpg

S5.jpg

S6.jpg

S7.jpg

Where did you get the new honing guide? Looks like a really well made Eclipse style guide.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Shea View Post
    Where did you get the new honing guide? Looks like a really well made Eclipse style guide.

It's made by Sharp Pebble, very nice quality. I purchased from Amazon $35.00. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09BPSRHWP...roduct_details

Today is the day the planes get their blade & wedge back in place and take a shaving before being boxed up. Rather than do a group shot I'll post an individual photo of the plane and the name of the person it goes to. It may take a couple days to get through all.

First one up is for Ed S. Ed's plane has a Gaboon Ebony body, wedge pin and wedge with Curly Maple sides.

Thanks for you patience Ed!

P1.jpg

Ebony with Cocobolo sides for Luke S.

P2.jpg

All Ebony for Jack D.

Thanks for your patience Jack!

P3.jpg

All Ebony & Ebony / Cocobolo for Art K.

P4.jpg

All Ebony for Mel M.

P5.jpg

And the last one for batch two, all Ebony for Thomas H.

P7.jpg

I'm happy to say all the planes from batch 2 are now on the way to their owners. Batch 3 will start tomorrow, as many as you now know these could take 6 - 10 weeks to complete due to my work schedule. If the time frame is not an issue for you and you would like to reserve one please send me a note. After more closely keeping track of time and materials I need to adjust the price of these to $150.00, Priority Shipping to address in contiguous USA included. All plane bodies, hybrid wedge pins and wedges will be Gaboon Ebony. Brass rod is now used for the hybrid pin. Sides can be Gaboon Ebony, East Indian Rosewood, Bubinga, Curly Maple, Cocobolo, Bocote, Jatoba, or Paduk. If you prefer you can order your plane with a hybrid wedge pin and/or wedge from any of these woods as well. If no mention is made the Gaboon Ebony hybrid pin and wedge will be the standard default.

I'm also happy to say that better photos will now be included with these updates. As an example shown below is an all Ebony plane.

Thanks Guys!

P1.jpg
    Last edited by Dale Osowski; 07-03-2022 at 2:35 PM.

Looks like some planes from Batch II are starting to arrive to their owners.

" I just received mine in all-ebony, and it's a work of art. I'm very pleased. What a beautiful little tool.

Thomas "