Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weird Hybrid brace - does it work?

Weird Hybrid brace - does it work?

Hi all I recently ran into this monstrosity online:

87114_1000x.jpg

anyone ever use them?

seems like it is a hybrid brace eggbeater which would be much more cumbersome and without any real advantage

was wondering if anyone uses them and could give there two cents

Blog Entries
    What problem does it solve?

Does it create more problems than it solves?

It also makes me wonder how many bandaids will be needed on one's arm after using it as a brace.

To me it looks more like a gimmick tool than a go to tool.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

To me this looks like it was designed for carpenters so they wouldn't have to carry both a breast drill and a brace. I am assuming the eggbeater assembly would be taken off for to be used a brace, otherwise it looks physically impossible to use.

That or maybe it was gag to give the apprentices to see how long it would take them to figure out it was a joke.

Many makers actually MADE and SOLD these. The "Eggbeater" was also a ratchet drive. Was more for Electricians. It did not need as more room to drill a hole as the larger Corner Braces did. Yes, that drive wheel can be removed, for when they needed a "normal" brace...or, it can be used as a Breast Drill....plus, IF the bit does get stuck, that brace handle was great to reverse the bit and extract it.

These also came with a way to fold the eggbeater handle out of the way, if needed. Might go look up the Millers Falls/Goodell Pratt versions on that web site...there are a few catalog diagrams that show all the ways this drill could be set up.

Hmmm...better hope Woodpecker doesn't see this...or there will be an overpriced RED version for sale....as a "OneTime Tool"...

So...instead of carrying around a Breast Drill, A bit Brace, and an Eggbeater drill in your tool bag...plus that huge Corner Brace drill....just haul this.

Surprised this isn't sold at Lee Valley......

Millers Falls No. 182 (non-ratcheting) and No. 192 (ratching)
    Last edited by steven c newman; 02-04-2022 at 11:01 AM.
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use

I was a great fan of braces before battery-operated drills were available. Not just for drilling holes but for driving and removing those damnable slotted screws (with a screwdriver bit, of course). Even a corded 2-speed drill with a side handle can't do a better job. But I always felt egg-beater drills were useless in the real world unless all you want to do is drill 1/16-inch holes in soft wood Too light. too awkward, can't apply force evenly around the rotation of the undersized handle, etc. This thing would let you put more force on a drill bit while holding it straighter, switch to the eggbeater when drilling was easier, and be one less tool in the box. I'm never going back from battery-powered, but I wish I'd had one of those 50 years ago.
    Last edited by Alan Rutherford; 02-04-2022 at 11:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Rutherford View Post
    I was a great fan of braces before battery-operated drills were available. Not just for drilling holes but for driving and removing those damnable slotted screws (with a screwdriver bit, of course). Even a corded 2-speed drill with a side handle can't do a better job. But I always felt egg-beater drills were useless in the real world unless all you want to do is drill 1/16-inch holes in soft wood Too light. too awkward, can't apply force evenly around the rotation of the undersized handle, etc. This thing would let you put more force on a drill bit while holding it straighter, switch to the eggbeater when drilling was easier, and be one less tool in the box. I'm never going back from battery-powered, but I wish I'd had one of those 50 years ago.
    Since I discovered eggbeaters my DeWalt has sat almost dormant. I have a few size eggbeaters. The larger one I have, a 2a I believe, can drive a 3/8" brad point but no problem. Anything larger than that and I reach for the brace.

I am the exact opposite. I find the eggbeater much more balanced than a battery drill. Especially if the battery drill has a higher amp hour pack on it. Plus I don't have to lug around batteries

Blog Entries
    In decades of rust hunting maybe one of these has been seen in the wild.

If this was such a great idea, wouldn't we be seeing more of them? The ratchet on most modern braces allowed them to be used against walls and in corners.

Then there are these:

Stanley Corner Brace #984.jpg

Alas, for the early days of that auction site… This and a full set of augers in a wooden box set me back $20 and shipping.

BTW, my eggbeaters are much easier to control than even my lightest battery powered drill. With the duel speed of a Goodell Pratt #5-1/2 it is easy to use larger bits on the slow speed. > https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?291909

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

I guess you guys are more coordinated than I am. Maybe I could have learned to like those things if I'd never pinched a finger in the gears.

Both 182 and 192 were ratchet equipped but the main difference between the two is the cranked gear wheel on the 192 can be attached in 3 different positions and includes a side handle. I got my info' from here: https://oldtoolheaven.com/brace/brace4.htm Scroll down for an interesting read.

Cheers,
    Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Buresh View Post
    I am assuming the eggbeater assembly would be taken off for to be used a brace, otherwise it looks physically impossible to use.
    I'm only working off of the picture but I think the eggbeater assembly pivots with the brace

Blog Entries
    It may be people in the past saw the item either in a store or advertisement. After thinking about it for a few moments thought of it as something they didn't need.

With so many useful tools, why buy one that looks like it might break your arm the first time it is used?

jtk

Yep...if you don't know how to use it, in the first place...

Currently in the shop...G-P No. 329 Hand drill, G-P No. 410 Brace Drill, and the G-P No. 477 Breast drill...a nice selection.
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use

Assaf, when used as a brace the cranked gear is removed by undoing the knurled head bolt as the photo's of my example show. The ratchet pawls can be engaged or disengaged by the clips as required.
    Cheers,
    Geoff.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Geoff Emms; 02-05-2022 at 5:58 PM.

Steven covered it pretty thoroughly in post #4, it is two tools for the price of one and saved you lugging extra tools from place to place. Millers Falls must have made thousands of them from 1882 until 1931.

Cheers,
    Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Assaf Oppenheimer View Post
    (...)
    anyone ever use them?
    (...)
    was wondering if anyone uses them and could give there two cents
    Hi Assaf,

I bumped into a cheap one in Belgium and shared my thoughts there on post 39.
    Last edited by Axel de Pugey; 02-05-2022 at 8:02 PM.