Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to affix mirror to frame

How to affix mirror to frame

I’ve built a frame for a mirror. The rails in the stiles are each about 3 inches wide by 3/4 of an inch thick and I have about a 5/8” inch rabbet on the inside edge.

My question is what’s the best way to affix the mirror so that it fits tightly up against the inside edge of that rabbet. I can tell you one way not to do it and that’s to try to use mastic. I’m thinking there should be some kind of clip because I’d rather not put a chunk of wood behind it as I want the mirror frame to sit flush against the wall.

Any suggestions are welcome thanks.

BTW Apple needs a woodworking lexicon else we have styles and rabbits I keep having to fix by hand.
    Bob C

I think what you are looking for are glazing points.

I cut a stepped rabbet and add a 1/4" ply back.

Rockler makes a clip for this. It is basically a rubber bumper that screws into the frame.

Blog Entries
    Place the frame on a flat surface with the back side up. Place the mirror in the frame. Apply short beads of silicone caulking every 3-4 inches all the way around the mirror between the glass and the frame. Make sure the beads are flush with the back of your frame. Let it set 12 hours or more so the sealant cures. The mirror will not fall out.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Lee....actually i think i need something to apply force to kind of pull the mirror and frame snug one to the other. Also i too thought silicone would be the right choice but the glass supplier said not to use silicone as it can eat away at the mirrored material somehow
    Bob C

stepped rabbet...hadn't thought of that but the frame is already cut and assembled. Cutting a second shallower but wider rabbet ...say 1/4" deep would work but seems tough now that everything's together.
    Bob C

Actually the glazing points seem like they would work quite well.
    Bob C

How thick is the mirror? If you have a 1/4" or so of the rabbet left after installing the mirror, you could cut some stops and pin nail them into the frame.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Cooper View Post
    Lee....actually i think i need something to apply force to kind of pull the mirror and frame snug one to the other. Also i too thought silicone would be the right choice but the glass supplier said not to use silicone as it can eat away at the mirrored material somehow
    Gravity works well to pull things together. Put a can of paint on the glass if you need more gravity. Do not overload the glass and crack it.
    Bill D

Blog Entries
    I like to use a very thin bead of clear silicone to bed glass. Apply it to the wood rabbit and it won't be contacting the mirror finish which is on the backside of the glass.
    NOW you tell me...

How big is the mirror? For a large heavy mirror, I feel better with something more substantial than glazing points. I use the metal clips used for framing photos https://www.homedepot.com/p/OOK-1-8-...-202341145-_-N, sometimes flattening them with a hammer to fit flatter. I do not trust mastic or any adhesive.

I do the stepped rabbet too. Eagle America makes stepped router bits for framing.
    Last edited by Stan Calow; 02-04-2022 at 9:17 AM.
    < insert spurious quote here >

Assuming you are mounting from behind, the rebate should be deep enough that you can use pin nails to affix wood strips to hold in the mirror. That's the method I use. Easy to pry out the strips if the mirror needs to be replaced but quite secure.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Given that this is going to sit flush on the wall - and not be something like a cabinet door that's subject to movement - I can't see any reason to use more than glazier's push points.

Heck, I bet duct tape would even work for this.

Next time around - the push points, deeper rabbet and wood pieces pinned in are the way to go.
    Last edited by Rich Engelhardt; 02-04-2022 at 9:37 AM.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Bob,

Part of the answer depends on the height/thickness of the lip you want to have. When the combination of lip/frame thickness allows, my approach mirrors Bradley's method. A stepped rabbet to which I add a thin (3/16 inch) wooden strip to hold the glass / mirror. That strip is held in place with two or three screws per side. I often rout key holes combined with a slot at the router table on the back so that the frame sits perfectly flat on the wall.