Thread: Help identifying wood trim

Question Help identifying wood trim

Howdy, I am looking to identify what type of wood was used for this trim and molding. I am planning to make a wood paneled wall to match. Any help would be appreciated. I think it's maple, but I cannot tell if maybe it is pine?
    20220202_142324.jpg20220202_142310.jpg20220202_142259.jpg

Blog Entries
    Looks like stained poplar to me. I will look on the big PC monitor later. If you can expose an un-finished backside or end it might help you.

Blog Entries
    It appears to be yellow poplar or possibly soft maple, but my first inclination was poplar. Poplar would take a more uniform stain than soft maple.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 02-03-2022 at 8:19 AM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Agree, poplar. Close to soft maple, easy to tell by looking at the instained back if you can see some. Either would work as a replacement, poplar stains far better IMHO.

Blog Entries
    I'll agree with yellow poplar. Soft maple would have less "fuzz" in the grain structure.

Thanks everyone! I can't see an unstained side yet. It is in a home I am buying, and since I don't own it yet I can't imagine they'd be pleased with me tearing at it

I've never worked with poplar so I wasn't sure of how it looked stained, but that makes a lot of sense.

Follow up question: Since I want to make a wood paneled wall that matches, should I make the wall out of Poplar or go with a more classical hardwood? I'm not even sure if I can find poplar ply for the larger segments

Another vote for poplar. It's very common in molding. Takes stain and paint really well too.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

I agree with the others...yellow poplar that's been colored.

And yellow poplar is one of the easiest species to come by in the east...and at reasonable cost, too.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...