Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Harvey MG-36 Miter Gauge?

to be honest I've never watched either of these two "influencers", but after watching each of these, I'm more likely to watch more wood whisperer videos than I would Stumpy Nubs. I really got a bad taste from watching the latter.

Quote Originally Posted by Cory Newman View Post
    to be honest I've never watched either of these two "influencers", but after watching each of these, I'm more likely to watch more wood whisperer videos than I would Stumpy Nubs. I really got a bad taste from watching the latter.
    I think it is insulting to call either of them "influencers", I' subscribed to both and they offer good instructional videos on woodworking for beginners to experienced hobbiests. They both do product reviews but the bulk of thier videos are instructional and entertaining.

Doug Garson: I think that to an extent, they are influencers. I know a number of people/woodworkers-- especially the so-called "newbee", who think "if I had that kind of tool, I could build that too." They wind up buying it while not considering/discounting skill and the time involved.

Just like back in the last century when I when attended the now defunct woodworking shows. Attendees would hoover around the booths with some tool or time saving gadgets film loop playing, and then buy them but wind up not using them very often.

I will agree that some of the videos are instructional as well as entertaining and remind of the Norm Abram New Yankee Workshop series.

Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

Interesting rebuttal from Stumpy Nubs. Hard to say, but Marc did contact Harvey, and did indicate multiple times that it was just HIS experience with HIS purchases. Either way I do love Jessem products.

Quote Originally Posted by Cory Newman View Post
    I think you should give Stubby another chance. Sponsored content is the furthest thing from what drives the channel, and he has a ton of useful information.

I have the Rockler miter gauge and have been happy with it but after watching both videos, it is hard for me to justify spending over $300 for a Harvey miter gauge.

I also watched Mark's reviews and was impressed with his brand impartiality. I agree with derek and have never been disappointed with Jessem.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Mathews View Post
    I watched both the Wood Whisperer's and Stumpy Nubs videos. The former appeared specific to the features of the gauge while the latter more like sponsored damage control of the Wood Whisperer critique.
    Concur. Stumpy has a good channel, and I'll continue to watch, but this show was just an infomercial.

I think if Stumpy came straight out and advertised what he was getting paid by harvey I'd be more understanding of the situation. There are a LOT of youtubers getting Harvey dust collectors, table saws, miter gauges. All with nothing but shiny reviews.

Marc just wrapped up a long term powermatic sponsorship and he's going to be a bit more free to say what he wants when he wants about any tools. He's been around forever and I'm not sure he "needs" tool sponsorship.

However, I can definitely attest to the fact that even to best companies can send you a dud and then fail to come through on the customer service side. This miter gauge instance is just a sliver. Most likely most of them are great. No company is perfect though.

I too watched all three videos. My take is that if TWW couldn't get good customer service from Harvey, then I bet I won't either. At this price point, I would expect excellent service.

I am leaning toward the Jessem for a few reasons: I like that it's made in Canada, very happy with my Jessem saw guides, the ability to lock the rail to a set position, the vernier scale, and it's a little less expensive. The Harvey also looks very nice, especially the stop with a micro adjuster.

I just got notifications that my new alpha saw is shipped. After watching the two YouTube videos, I’m anxiously awaiting to see how mine does.

What I will say for now is that I’ve called Harvey a few times over the last week and they’ve been very helpful and responsive. First impression is that they answer the phone almost immediately by a real person without the dial this and wait game. Pricing since my original order has changed and they were happy to adjust my order to the most favorable price. They also handled my technical questions very well.

If my new miter that comes with my saw turns out to be like the one that TWW received, I’m very confident they will take care of it. Nothing against TWW, but I wonder if he even requested a replacement. Isn’t that what most here would do at that point?
    Last edited by Chris Sonego; 02-04-2022 at 8:57 PM. Reason: Word error

I just watched Wood Whisperer miter gauge extravaganza and it was interesting. I was honestly surprised at the things that were off with the Harvey given its price point
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Miter Gate 2022
    Still waters run deep.