Thread: saw stop blade

saw stop blade

i just recently bought me a saw stop contractor saw and its a great saw,,,the saw blade amazed me,,,it cut so very smooth,,as a rule i have always heard that the saw blades that come with a saw when you buy it is garbage,,,,not so with saw stop,,maybe its because im use to cheap blades,,but i will be buying more blades from saw stop,,

lots of good blades out there. I would buy a dedicated rip and cross cut but if a combo fits wear it.

Quote Originally Posted by jeff oldham View Post
    i just recently bought me a saw stop contractor saw and its a great saw,,,the saw blade amazed me,,,it cut so very smooth,,as a rule i have always heard that the saw blades that come with a saw when you buy it is garbage,,,,not so with saw stop,,maybe its because im use to cheap blades,,but i will be buying more blades from saw stop,,
    Which one did you get Jeff? I set up my SS PCS which came with their 40t standard silver combo blade. It wasn't even close to flat and had chipped teeth. The saw itself is great so I wasn't really put off by it....I just threw on a Freud and continued the setup.
    Thanks,
    Fred

Seasoned professional possessing unremarkable proficiency at innumerable skills.

I think you will find even inexpensive Freud blades are better but I agree that the SawStop silver blade is not trash. I kept it but put on a Freud after trying it. I don't think it cuts as smoothly nor did I think it cut as well on thicker cuts.

Blog Entries
    A lot of folks put a blade on and run it way past its optimal life. Since the wear occurs over time we don't notice the poorer performance till things start scorching or we have to really push to get through a cut. Putting any new blade on after that slow march to poor performance can seem amazing. I keep my Saw Stop blade for questionable material. It is certainly better than some blades I've seen come with a tablesaw. You'll want to have more than one anyway so treat yourself to a Freud or something similar for comparison. Remember that Saw Stop mentions avoiding blades with coatings or anti-kickback shoulders as it reduces the effectiveness of the safety system. I run some blades with shoulders so you're not alone if you decide to do this
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dwight View Post
    I think you will find even inexpensive Freud blades are better but I agree that the SawStop silver blade is not trash. I kept it but put on a Freud after trying it. I don't think it cuts as smoothly nor did I think it cut as well on thicker cuts.
    I would use that moniker to describe blade that came with my saw. Again, I wasn't particularly offended by it considering the setup instructions and hardware packaging were the best I've with any tool ever....possibly the best I've seen on something that wasn't a tool.
    Thanks,
    Fred

Seasoned professional possessing unremarkable proficiency at innumerable skills.

I run a Tenryu Gold Medal blade on the table saw after years of using other blades such as Freud. There are some "throw away" blades people have given as gifts through the years (such as DeWalt, Makita, Bosch Red Devil, etc.), but they never get touched unless there is something to be cut that might damage a good blade. Other blades used on various saws include FS, Infinity, and Amana. The best thing you can do for a blade is keep it clean.

i got the contractor saw,,,

Maybe I should try mine. When I put my PCS together I automatically put the original blade in my blade drawer, and put on a Freud. Never tested it. I probably have at least 10 blades in that drawer I have never used. All saved for when I need to cut particle board or whatever, which is not that often, since I also keep skilsaw blades just for that purpose.

They get used on my old Unisaw, that I cannot let go of. Usually have a dado on that one.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

On my PCS, I went pretty quickly from the stock Sawstop blade to a WWII. It was better, no doubt, but I was honestly surprised that the difference wasn't bigger. Since the WWII is well known as one of the best, if not the best, all I can surmise is that the SS blade is at least reasonably good. I keep it around and have used it a few times, as others, for "questionable" cuts. But when I eventually have to send out my WWII for a sharpening, I'll put that blade back on and I certainly won't think "this is trash" and avoid the table saw.

Mine worked surprising well until I donated it for a Sawstop triggering demonstration at my local Woodcraft. Since then ... not so much.

I did replace it with a Forrest WWII blade which was better, but not jaw-droppingly so. So my long-winded answer is that I felt the stock blade was surprisingly good.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.