Thread: Medieval hand plane

Medieval hand plane

plane_0285.jpgplane_0286.jpgplane-0287.jpg
    While looking at old woodworking stuff, I found this medieval hand plane that is etimated 500-600AD from a museum in Europe. What I find most interesting about these is they took the time to put a bronze sole on the bottom. I can't imagine that was a simple or small task back in the day, especially since planes as old as 200-300 years ago primarily were wooden soles. It also has a pretty comfortable looking grip, and appears it may be more comfortable than something like a coffin smoother. There is a link below, and it shows some other ancient tools as well. Interesting stuff.

https://thomasguild.blogspot.com/201...rking.html?m=1

Oh, they were exceptionally good working bronze, a whole epoch was titled "The Bronze Age". They've built way more complicated and demanding mechanism, so getting a flat piece of bronze riveted to a block of wood was probably a day of work.

A more interesting question is whether a bronze sole was to prevent wear. What kind of woods were they working if wear was so great?

That's an interesting example, Jason. There was a blog I read a while ago about a woodworker who made reproductions of ancient planes and tried to present them to a museum. His work was rejected, possibly because it lacked scholarly background. The planes looked very much like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Dover View Post
    Oh, they were exceptionally good working bronze, a whole epoch was titled "The Bronze Age". They've built way more complicated and demanding mechanism, so getting a flat piece of bronze riveted to a block of wood was probably a day of work.

A more interesting question is whether a bronze sole was to prevent wear. What kind of woods were they working if wear was so great?
    That's an interesting point too. I wonder if the bronze was to help keep the sole flatter? Did it burnish better than a wood sole? Was it just showing off?

I always thought it would be cool to reproduce an old plane like this. I really like the look of the grip on this one.

Or maybe its still with us because of the bronze parts having provided some protection for the adjacent wood. Perhaps the common, all wood planes just rotted away (wish they hadn't).

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Buresh View Post
    I always thought it would be cool to reproduce an old plane like this. I really like the look of the grip on this one.
    Have you perused Patrick Leach's February list? > http://www.supertool.com/forsale/feb/f2.jpg

The first tool listed (FT1) is a Challenge smoothing plane with a similar grip, patent 1883 & 1884.

For $2,885 it can be yours if it is still available.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

https://www.history.com/news/bronze-age-collapse-causes An interesting read on the collapse of the Bronze Age.

And here I thought my antique Baileys were cool! That is really neat. I've been bingeing on Time Team lately and I can imagine their excitement if they dug up one of those haha