Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Benchtop Oscillating Spindle Sander

Best Benchtop Oscillating Spindle Sander

All -

I have an old Delta Boss spindle sander that recently died on me.

Looking for a replacement. I don't have room (or money) for a floor mounted spindle sander so I'm looking another benchtop model. Not really looking for a convertible spindle / belt sander since I already have a large floor model belt sander.

After doing my research, I see the prices run from a few hundred dollars to more than $800, and the recommendations seem to be a bit scattered.

A lot of people seem to like the Jet, but it is near (or at) the top of the cost range.

So, what does everyone like, or really dislike (so I drop those models from consideration)?

Thanks.
    ===========

James Cheever
    Ga Tech NROTC - 1978
    Run Silent, Run Deep
    Commander, USN (Retired)

If my BOSS died, I'd probably be considering the Triton and the Ridgid. Both have the ability to be both oscillating spindle and oscillating belt sanders with a quick changeover between those functions. They are similar in size/footprint.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Be cautious with the Jet JBOS-5. The machine is a good solid machine but the spindles on mine were a different story. The spindles were out of round a small amount on mine. Try sanding a radius with an out of round spindle sometime. I was forever wanting to sand a curve that needed a spindle in a different diameter than what came with the machine. Sold it and bought a Grizzly G1071 that came with 10 spindle sizes. When I bought mine a couple years ago it was under $1k delivered.

Blog Entries
    I've had a Ridgid for ages & have no complaints at all. Except for the fact that it rudely took the tip of my finger off the other day while it was running a 60 grit belt and I was being stupid. Makes typing a E, D, or C a pain.

I have had the Ridgid for quite a few years and it is a dependable machine. You can always leave the belt unit stowed.
    Regards,

Kris

I have the Jet and I like it. One of the spindles did not run true (it worked, but with an annoying vibration). Jet replaced the spindle and the new one is good.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    I've had a Ridgid for ages & have no complaints at all. Except for the fact that it rudely took the tip of my finger off the other day while it was running a 60 grit belt and I was being stupid. Makes typing a E, D, or C a pain.
    Ah yes, the 60-Grit Manicure Special … just did the same a few weeks ago with my oscillating edge sander … I feel your pain!

I should add I also have the Jet, and haven’t had any issues with it. Wish the dust collection was better, but don’t think any of the units in this price range have good dust collection.
    There is a very fine line between “hobby” and “mental illness.” - Dave Barry

Another vote for the Rigid. But agree the dust collection isn't great.

Just to note, the "old standby" Rigid is the EB4424. They also just released the newer R4840. Haven't looked for reviews on the new model, but one major difference is that the EB4424 comes with the lifetime service agreement. The newer one comes with a 5-year warranty. Not sure what their ultimate plans are, but I wouldn't be surprised if they phased out the old model. If it's on your radar, might be worth getting one before they do.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    Umm.....OUCH!!!!!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bain View Post
    Ah yes, the 60-Grit Manicure Special … just did the same a few weeks ago with my oscillating edge sander … I feel your pain!
    Ah, the quick and easy approach. I did one in with a hammer several months ago. Took several weeks for the nail to eventually come off. And another couple months for it to grow back enough that I could touch anything.

I have a Jet and am happy with it. They all seem to get damaged in shipment on one bottom corner. After reading this from users, I even sent them an email imploring more packing on the bottom, sure enough, same corner damaged just like everyone else. Think they sent me a check to compensate. Randy
    Randy Cox
    Lt Colonel, USAF (ret.)

The ridgid works for me as little as I use it and its light enough to throw in its cubby when not in use

I bought the wen which as far as I can tell is the Ridgid with a different paint job. I believe harbor freight has it's only paint job version as well now. After trying to get the lifetime service agreement registered on a different Ridgid purchase, I decided it wasn't worth it to get the Ridgid sander since they'd probably drag their feet just the same.

Quote Originally Posted by James Cheever View Post
    Not really looking for a convertible spindle / belt sander since I already have a large floor model belt sander.
    Another vote for the Rigid. I also have a floor model belt sander but sometimes it's a bit much for small things and I'll pop on the Rigid belt. It uses the same belts as my hand held belt sander so that's a plus.

I have a Craftsman benchtop OSS that I bought used about 12 years ago, and which I use almost every day, sometimes heavily. I have been expecting it to die for about 10 years, but it just keeps going and going. They aren't made anymore, but still pop up used from time to time. I keep an eye on threads like this so I will have an idea what to order when I do have to replace it, but so far I haven't had to.