Thread: Used shop fox w1706 opinion needed

Used shop fox w1706 opinion needed

Good morning, 1st time post.

I've been eyeing a 14" band saw for a few months. Searched the forum for this particular one and it has great feedback. I'm new to woodworking and curious if others thought this was a good deal or just a fair deal or totally overpriced? Pictures shown.

"Shop Fox W 1706 bandsaw with 6 inch riser and shop fox mobile base. $850. Extra blades have never been used. Bandsaw itself only used 3 times."
    Attached Images Attached Images

Location? Seems about double the value to me. Nothing special about that model. Everyone still makes one just like that since 1934. Maybe if it had good blade guides. How many extra blades and what quality?&nbsp; Are those blades too short?<br>
    Bill D

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Location? Seems about double the value to me. Nothing special about that model. Everyone still makes one just like that since 1934. Maybe if it had good blade guides. How many extra blades and what quality?&nbsp; Are those blades too short?<br>
    Bill D
    3 extra blades of various widths

With inflation and pandemic gouging, i have not been able to find anything for a 14" band saw around $400 for months, unless it was in rough shape- in my area or anything within 100 miles. I'm in Charleston SC. I think we may need to readjust what we once thought was a good deal on used power tools? Or just continue to wait...

I have this model with the riser block to make it cut up to 12". It took me a while to figure out what was going on with the saw - I couldn't get blade tension where it needed to be. Snaking was a real issue. Put a spring in it from Ittura Design and helped a bit. One day while in our sawmill where I work, we were messing with the blade tensioning system - but this was a Flier Stowe with an 8 ft diameter bottom and top wheel - we have two of these saws. I dawned on me the riser block may be machined too short or maybe the wrong one or the saw frame was machined too short where the top and bottom come together. . I put a 1/8" shim between the riser block and the top wheel frame. It made a night and day difference. I am really happy with the saw now - it cuts as it should. Got the riser block to cut bowl blanks - it does a good job now.

Haven't had any other issues with the saw. Timberwolf blades run great on it. Three Lenox blades have had broke - they made a clunking noise once per rev. - done with those. Bought it around 2013.
    Thank you,

Rich Aldrich

65 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf.

"To a pessimist, the glass is half empty; to an optimist, the glass is half full; to an engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be." Unknown author

Go check it out and if it looks good make a fair reasonable offer, what you want to pay.
    Your money, your shop, do your do diligence and decide, bandsaw’s go quick here, so….