Thread: smallest length piece I can run through a Dewalt lunchbox planer

smallest length piece I can run through a Dewalt lunchbox planer

I have a bunch of shorter pieces cut off and leftover from a dresser build and I would like to use them for the stringers on the night stands. I did not plan ahead, so I am curious how short is safe to run through this planer? Thanks. Brian
    Brian

Brian,

Measure the distance from the front pressure roller to the back roller. They are located on either side of the cutter head.

You want to avoid having a piece loose under the cutter head without it being controlled by at least one of the pressure rollers.

A piece that is to short will chatter, be damaged, and sometimes shoot out. I'm told thats bad for safety.

I have a 733, and my personal limit is anything that fits completely under the head is too short. I need to be able to see and grab one end or the other to keep it from getting sucked in sideways and stuck between the rollers.

You can safely run anything down to an inch long - provided you prep it correctly.

Use Elmer's school glue, old newspaper and scrap pieces of wood the same thickness are what you are planning on running through that are about 18 inches long - give or take.

Glue the runners to the piece - by using a piece of newspaper in between the runners and the piece to plane. Clamp it and let it dry overnight.

Plane it to thickness, then use a sharp chisel to separate the runners from the piece. Wash the newspaper/glue off with water. You need to use Elmer's School Glue so it can wash off. Hide glue and a stiff batter of flour and water will also work, but, Elmer's is better (IMHO).

here's a link to something similar:
    https://www.woodmagazine.com/planing...m-you-planer-4

I learned about this 55 years ago in shop class.
    Last edited by Rich Engelhardt; 02-01-2022 at 10:27 AM.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Thanks to everyone. Manual says 12 inches and rollers are on @ 6 in centers. My pieces are over 14 in, so I feel safer in using them. Thanks Brian

Not trying to be a smart but if you have to ask (meaning it is on the small side) it is probably time to get a hand plane on it.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 02-01-2022 at 3:29 PM.

There is no practical limit if you use an auxiliary piece at the same height in parallel to avoid snipping.

Regards,
    All the best.

Osvaldo.

I have a 3' piece of 3/4"x12" wide melamine that I have a lip screwed to the end and protrudes up 1/4". I put thin and/or short pieces on it to go through the planer. No issues with feed rollers then. I routinely run 10" pieces of hardwood on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Keegan Shields View Post
    Brian,

Measure the distance from the front pressure roller to the back roller. They are located on either side of the cutter head.

You want to avoid having a piece loose under the cutter head without it being controlled by at least one of the pressure rollers.

A piece that is to short will chatter, be damaged, and sometimes shoot out. I'm told thats bad for safety.
    I think this is actually the answer to your question.

Granted things can be changed to make shorter pieces possible, such as using sleds.

But it seems like your question related to the stock setup without modifications to the normal process.
    Too much to do...Not enough time...life is too short!