Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tired of Winter?

Snowing now, but I plow and shovel on my schedule, it will be warm and I will be mowing before I know it.
    Weather is what it is, never perfect anywhere.
    Farmers tan soon…..
    Shop is warm and dry.

I use one of those sun - light ,electric lights in the mornings . At least 30 minutes, and it helps lower the gloom-midity.

Heck no! Finally got our first real snow of the season (about 18") and it's stunning out. We get a ton of sun in the winter, unlike other places I've lived and it makes it really very nice. Also finally cool enough to do heavy outside work without sweating to death.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    Just because someone lives in a place their entire life doesn't mean they necessarily like living there. It is generally easier to live in the place you grew up than to move away.
    I generally agree with that. Many folks prefer "the devil they know". My brother will never move anywhere I'm pretty darn sure, despite good reasons to do so. Same for his older daughter and even more so...she could make something of her life but can't cut her ties.

I've always lived in Pennsylvania and it's likely where I'll be for the duration at this point. We actually do like where we live and our new, smaller place "in town" is close to both daughters who now have apartments, also "in town", and we're in an actual non-cookie cutter neighborhood. It's one of the (many, of course) "best rated" small towns in the country to live in, deservedly so. I am thankful, however, that I'm not still living in my hometown up in the northeastern corner of the state because the weather is dramatically different during the colder months. THAT would be uncomfortable!

We did discuss if we wanted to stay in this area. Neither of us would enjoy living "down south" and it would have delayed our downsizing, too, since Professor Dr SWMBO is still working. (Although she's considering retirement in a year or so at this point) Moving would be complicated relative to our older daughter, too. Without going into details, she's "independent", but "not independent" because of a "non visible disability" and she'd also have to move. That would be difficult for all kinds of reasons including her medical coverage. But there are places we do like and could enjoy living in, maybe more than here, but who knows?
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 02-01-2022 at 8:20 PM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

With each passing birthday, winter becomes less appealing. For the past three weekends, we have had some kind of winter weather event. Ice, freezing rain, or snow. It's only 45 days till SPRING! Already getting garden transplants started. Tomorrow thru Friday, it's going to be in the upper sixties, but then it's back reality. Tonight weather forecaster mentioned that "S" word again for last half of weekend.

It's winter? Hadn't noticed. The best thing about winter is the woodstove. Most of us pay one way or the other. Those bragging about being warm in the winter will be the ones talking about how it's over 100f in their shop 6 months from now. Probably, for me, the worst thing about winter is seeing pictures of flowers growing when we still have a foot of snow still on the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    That's where my parents first bought in Florida many years ago. It's a very nice area, but so so much more built up than "back in the day". They did eventually move to central Florida to get away from the condo thing and back into a single family home that they occupied for over 30 years before moving into a life-care community. (which was a brilliant decision that paid off very well for them both)
    It is a nice area. My wife has family there so we're familiar with it, but the home prices I haven't paid much attention to until now....yikes...big bucks!

...winters suck...swhy they call it winter

Given what summers are here, I’ll take all the winter I can get…here. While I miss MA and the Northeast, I timed out of the winters.

Another winter storm looms. On the highway tonight, truckers were driving more than 80 MPH in the rain. Perhaps they were trying to escape the storm.

Winters can get a little long in the tooth up north here, but they also present the opportunity to observe some wildlife that's not usually around during the fair weather months. Last night I turned on the lights in the backyard in hopes of spotting a deer by the bird feeder and to my surprise I found the telltale signs of a different visitor. There it was the squiggly track of the elusive northern snow snake. I must have just missed the rare serpent but did catch a picture of the tracks.

So nah, we're not tired of winter up here yet.

IMG_0286.jpg
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

Winter is good in central Texas. For the week lows in the 30s, highs in the low 60s. The summers are dreaded.

Blog Entries
    I am just tired of all the forecasts promising snow that either goes north or south of me.
    NOW you tell me...

Winter is on hiatus this week for us. It is 58 degrees with a slight breeze, partly cloudy. It's been in the 50's all week and it's supposed to continue through the weekend.

That probably means freezing temps and snow in mid March. You never know.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Bruette View Post
    Winters can get a little long in the tooth up north here, but they also present the opportunity to observe some wildlife that's not usually around during the fair weather months. Last night I turned on the lights in the backyard in hopes of spotting a deer by the bird feeder and to my surprise I found the telltale signs of a different visitor. There it was the squiggly track of the elusive northern snow snake. I must have just missed the rare serpent but did catch a picture of the tracks.

IMG_0286.jpg
    Thanks Jerry, Learned something new about snakes today!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Bruette View Post

IMG_0286.jpg

359DD114-1317-46D9-8638-83CA62E756C3_1_201_a.jpeg can't hunt them in northeast georgia anymore.