Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tired of Winter?

Tired of Winter?

Is anyone else tired of winter? The older and grumpier I get, the less cold and/or snow holds any appeal.

YES! But the weather guys here in Central KY say the worst is still to come, including a major winter storm event (rain, freezing rain, sleet, snow) later this week. Ugh.
    It's called golf because all the other 4-letter words were taken

I'm tolerating it well so far. Looks like a major snow even hitting this evening though. Since retirement the jobs come to me. Local township approached me about running a snowplow to help out. Told them I'd give it a try. Going this morning to get up to speed on everything. So if you see something in the news about a grumpy old man going berserk in a snow plow lol. Actually country roads so it shouldn't be an issue. Stay warm and in the shop if you can.

Went snowshoeing yesterday. It was about 31* and partly sunny. Good day to get some exercise.
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

If we get the 1/2" of ice that one model is forecasting, I'm going to be real tired of winter. Hopefully the other model forecast comes thru which gives us 12-18" of snow. I'll take heavy snow over ice any day.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

It does, especially when the temp is below zero and the shop is too cold to work. (cold tools are more of a problem for me than the air temp.) Otherwise winter is when I get most of my shop work in. Summer brings gardening and outside chores.

We've had a pretty good winter so far. It seems like more mornings in the single digit temps temps than is typical though. I imagine that people right on the mid Atlantic and New England coasts, if they weren't tired of winter last week certainly are now. A foot+ of snow on the Jersey shore is not common.

Usually winter is time in the shop I belong to. This winter I haven't gone because I am avoiding human contact to some degree. I did a lot of work at the cottage last summer and fall so I am actually enjoying relaxing and cooking a lot.

Since I retired, winter is a lot nicer being able to get out during daylight hours. Including winter walks during the warmest part of the day.

My wife and I have been googling/surfing Bradenton Fla. real estate. High today 56 and sunny here in n.e georgia....no one should have to live like this!!!

I listen to local folks here in NH complain about snow and winter. I usually ask them if they have lived here all of their life. Often they say yes. I then ask them if, "Is this something unusual. It's New Hampshire, it's winter, it snows. Always has."
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Tired of it for many years now. Fortunately, winters have also gotten less severe in recent years, although this year's weather patterns have brought a bit more cold air than in the last five or so.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence Duckworth View Post
    My wife and I have been googling/surfing Bradenton Fla. real estate. High today 56 and sunny here in n.e georgia....no one should have to live like this!!!
    That's where my parents first bought in Florida many years ago. It's a very nice area, but so so much more built up than "back in the day". They did eventually move to central Florida to get away from the condo thing and back into a single family home that they occupied for over 30 years before moving into a life-care community. (which was a brilliant decision that paid off very well for them both)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Now that I'm retired, I don't mind the snow much at all. If it snows, I can clear the driveway when I feel like it, instead of when I have to. I also get to go snow shoeing and cross country skiing. I mostly like the cold weather because you can always get warmer. The summer heat is hard because you can only take off so much clothing before they arrest you.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Tymchak View Post
    If we get the 1/2" of ice that one model is forecasting, I'm going to be real tired of winter. Hopefully the other model forecast comes thru which gives us 12-18" of snow. I'll take heavy snow over ice any day.
    I just looked at the forecast you are discussing. Sleet on top of ice, lovely.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Anderson NH View Post
    I listen to local folks here in NH complain about snow and winter. I usually ask them if they have lived here all of their life. Often they say yes. I then ask them if, "Is this something unusual. It's New Hampshire, it's winter, it snows. Always has."
    Just because someone lives in a place their entire life doesn't mean they necessarily like living there. It is generally easier to live in the place you grew up than to move away. As a young person you often want to stay close to mom and dad as they'll help out if you need it. If your parents and siblings live there you also probably want to to stay close to them. The older you get the more "attached" you get to a community with friends and so on. If you have kids you likely don't want to uproot them from school and their friends.

It gets harder to move for a lot of folks as they age. We tend to accumulate stuff that makes a move harder. I often see people asking about a cheap way to move two or three semi loads worth of stuff hundreds or thousands of miles. The cost of moving often deters folks from moving to a warmer climate.

I live in the Minneapolis area basically by default because I grew up here. I would prefer a drier climate as the summer humidity can make me really sick. I stay because I have friends family in the area plus a job I like. I also have a house that I have spent a lot of time renovating and modernizing. It is not easy finding a new job at age 50. Age discrimination is still alive and well. Employers just give other reasons besides age for not making a hire.