Thread: opinions on making nightstands to match this dresser

opinions on making nightstands to match this dresser

The side stringers on the chest are 5", I would normally narrow these to 3" for the nightstand. There is a detail on the bottom front stringer and the reverse of that is picked up in the vertical back of the top. The height of these two on the dresser is 5" so I have material to work with.

In my head I don't see how to realistically pick up this detail in the night stand with a 3" side stringer and I would also use this height for the vertical piece on the top. The diameter of the 1/2 circle on the front is 1-1/2" and the same diameter for the cutout in the top. If my front stringer and vertical back on the night stand top are only 3", I don't see a way to try and repeat this detail without it looking odd from a design stand point. I was planning on leaving this detail off the night stands.

Appreciate your input.

Brian

Dresser complete.jpgdresser stringer.jpg
    Last edited by Brian Runau; 01-31-2022 at 11:15 AM.
    Brian

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Runau View Post
    The side stringers on the chest are 5", I would normally narrow these to 3" for the nightstand. There is a detail on the bottom front stringer and the reverse of that is picked up in the vertical back of the top. The height of these two on the dresser is 5" so I have material to work with.

In my head I don't see how to realistically pick up this detail in the night stand with a 3" side stringer and I would also use this height for the vertical piece on the top. The diameter of the 1/2 circle on the front is 1-1/2" and the same diameter for the cutout in the top. If my front stringer and vertical back on the night stand top are only 3", I don't see a way to try and repeat this detail without it looking odd from a design stand point. I was planning on leaving this detail off the night stands.

Appreciate your input.

Brian

Dresser complete.jpgdresser stringer.jpg
    One of us is confused....I see 1/4 circles at each end of the board across the back of the dresser top. I also see 1/4 circles against the legs at the bottom front. Assuming you meant 1/4 circles with a radius of 1-1/2" and you plan to make the night stand proportionally smaller, then your 3" tall back piece would need a 1/4 circle with a radius of about 7/8", the same for the front leg.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    One of us is confused....I see 1/4 circles at each end of the board across the back of the dresser top. I also see 1/4 circles against the legs at the bottom front. Assuming you meant 1/4 circles with a radius of 1-1/2" and you plan to make the night stand proportionally smaller, then your 3" tall back piece would need a 1/4 circle with a radius of about 7/8", the same for the front leg.
    I'm old that's my excuse. You state it correctly, but my thought is the 7/8 radius 1/4 circle would look odd, awfully small? Thanks Brian
    Brian

...my thought is the 7/8 radius 1/4 circle would look odd, awfully small?
    I don't think it will look odd as long as it is appropriately scaled. I do think that if the details are left out, it will look odd to the discerning eye. And it will likely annoy you in the long run if you don't add the detail.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Blog Entries
    I'm old that's my excuse. You state it correctly, but my thought is the 7/8 radius 1/4 circle would look odd, awfully small? Thanks Brian
    You can always make the night stand and make a couple of sample quarter circles of different radii to try against the legs with double sided tape. The cut outs on the top riser can always be enlarged if they don't look right at 7/8".
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 01-31-2022 at 8:10 PM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Tymchak View Post
    I don't think it will look odd as long as it is appropriately scaled. I do think that if the details are left out, it will look odd to the discerning eye. And it will likely annoy you in the long run if you don't add the detail.
    Thanks brian
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    You can always make the night stand and make a couple of sample quarter circles of different radii to try against the legs with double sided tape. The cut outs on the top riser can always be enlarged if they don't look right at 7/8".
    Thanks brian
    Brian