Thread: Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

31 Jan 2022

Greetings,
    Been a very busy week at the day job but I'm still liking it.
    Finished up a couple of items for a wedding gift that needed to be ready for the trip out of state by this past Friday morning. Got it done. Here's the pic for proof I finished it.

spalted_maple_cutting_slab.jpeg

In case you want to know the dimensions - 15" wide x 24" long x 2" thick - Spalted Maple

Today, my #2 son arrives from the UK with his future wife - he went over to propose and she said "yes". She is arriving with him today to meet us in person for the 1st time ever. We are excited for them both.

That's it for me, so what did YOU do this past week?

Best of weeks to you all.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

My fence has been leaning at the 2 central posts for almost a year. Decided to bite the bullet on Thursday, and head over to my lumberyard and pick up my stock, and get my heart racing.
    44 of 1"x8" nominal x72" Cedar, 6-8' PT 2x4 and 2 - 4 1/8'x4 1/8" 8' PT posts, a keyed door handle and 3 50#bags of fast set concrete 4000psi was $638.00 Canadian. Wow! but the first section looks great. It's raining today, so I'll work more on it tomorrow.
    Since I do fair amount of hand planing and joint adjusting, I'm about half way through building a Bob Rozaieski viewed Donkey's Ear shooting board - I have a load of miters to make, and they'll be on display for decades in open sight, so they better be perfect.
    Had to drive out to work last night on a poorly lit road with headlights coming towards me, and realized my pickup's headlights (2004 Mazda 3000) were just too anemic in this day and age - and MY age. Picked up a set of LED headlights today to replace the Halogens and I'll get them in this week.
    Did a whole bunch of tuning and adjusting, checking specs etc., on my newish SawStop, which I did not do when I got it and set it up. Good fun.
    On the negative side, I'm getting REALLY tired of being the family handyman and go-to fixing person when I have a 15 YO and a 23 YO living here, but, I guess it's a different generation.
    Young enough to remember doing it;
    Old enough to wish I could do it again.

Helped a friend build a rustic nmantle for his house.

You're full of great news this week, Dennis! Congrats on the future daughter in law for sure and that's a mighty beautiful hunk of wood, too. 'Glad the new day job employer is treating you well...makes everything easier to handle including that pesky on-call thing that your kind of work involves.

No "woodworking" this past week...my temporary shop is like a meat locker at the moment...but I got started with the upgrades I'm doing in the kitchen to install proper ventilation. The soffit is opened up and I located the outside wall penetration. I would have liked getting the duct in over the weekend, but alas, that snow thing with very low temps hit, so it will be later in the week for that. The ventilation hood is ordered and will be here in a week or so And to my great joy...a few minutes ago, a nice lady called and offered to deliver the new induction range on Friday. I did start to do some initial planning on some built-in cabinets for in the eating area. I have to be a bit creative because I cannot handle full size sheet goods in the temporary shop and I'm not going to work outside at this time of year. I'd consider buying knock down cabinet carcasses but I need non-standard depth for the base units and want deeper uppers. I'll get it worked out, however.

Drew up the plot plan for what will hopefully be my future shop building. I can't move forward with the zoning application until I have a boundary survey done and the folks that do that seem to be very busy right now. I think that before I even start to narrow down the building type and pricing, I'm going to be sinking about $2500 into survey and zoning. Eek...

Helping our younger daughter and her SO move into their first real apartment tomorrow morning. It's been hard for them to find something...it's all waiting lists out there right now...but some quick action scored them a lovely, albeit small, apartment in a lovely older home right here in town. Their bedroom is actually in the base of a "turret" and has a lovely round wall.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 01-31-2022 at 10:02 AM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Congrats to your son Dennis! Are they planning to live in the states, or?

Jim, I'm jealous you are getting your range so quickly. Last date I got was *September 2022* Anxious to hear how you like it. BTW, we went with 15" deep uppers in the kitchen and they are fab; way nicer than 12".

Did a lot of little stuff this week. I did get the kitchen window all trimmed out and painted, and installed the curtain rod and curtains Mary picked out. Brightens the place up. Of course on the paint grade casing where little gaps and such can easily be caulked, the miters came out perfect on the first shot. If it was stain grade.....

Mary had a couple of slow days from teaching, and was in a cleaning/straightening mood, so I diverted from construction activities to help with that. Got the last few boxes of misc kitchen stuff out of the basement, cleaned, sorted and put away. That led to a big pile for goodwill, so we made that trip. I have another pile for Habitat, but that can wait. Also led to another big pile of cardboard, so I took that for recycling. Mary has collected a bunch of tea pots over the years that she likes to display on top of the upper cabinets. Since the uppers have crown on them, I cut a bunch of rigid foam pieces to raise the tea pots up a few inches so they can be seen over the crown. Hey, if it involves the table saw it must be woodworking, right?

The rest of the week was spent planning and laying out the backsplash tile, masking off the cabinets and countertops, digging out and setting up the tub saw, etc. I'll actually starting setting tile tomorrow.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Does cleaning or organizing the shop/garage and getting the tools ready for use after a couple years of other activities count? The bench and other horizontal surfaces are now visible and usable.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul F Franklin View Post
    Jim, I'm jealous you are getting your range so quickly. Last date I got was *September 2022* Anxious to hear how you like it. BTW, we went with 15" deep uppers in the kitchen and they are fab; way nicer than 12".
    You may or may not recall that the second set of uppers I did for the kitchen in the old property were the nominal 15" depth cabinets. There was a hair of "head banging" at first at the sink, but as you note, totally worth it. 12" plates fit in flat and the extra space otherwise was grand. For this 60" of space, there's no question I'll go that route, too.

Sad you have to wait so long for your range...I guess the white color you requested is something they don't produce very often. I have to be honest, I'm both tickled and surprised that ours became available so quickly...I was expecting at least a month, so two weeks from order to delivery is outstanding. Kudos to the Café folks for that!!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Visited the grandchildren in TN and the TAW sypmosium.