Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Harvey vs Shop Fox bandsaw

Harvey vs Shop Fox bandsaw

I am looking at bandsaws. Harvey has their C14 @ 1700 right now, but with freight and taxes it goes to 2223 here in TN. I can get a Shop Fox W1849 from home depot, free shipping, and a 10% military discount that comes in at 1963; 260 cheaper. Any opinions as to whether the Harvey is worth 260 more than the Shop Fox? I see the motor is 3 hp vs 2 hp for the SF, but it seems 2hp would be big enough for resawing. The Harvey has a brake as well, but since this would be my first bandsaw I do not know how to evaluate its usefulness. I am a hobbyist, but have some land that I can get nice sized timber from for resawing.

Thanks for your thought.

I don't know either machine but:

I appreciate having a 3hp motor on mine. I think it's worth it. I also appreciate the brake on mine, I don't like blades spinning forever after walking away from them. I have a laguna bx18 and its been excellent so far.

The shop fox does come with a home depot return policy though... if it shows up broken and is a PITA all you have to do is drag it back to your nearest HD and the money is returned to you immediately. During COVID times that can be worth its weight in gold.

I would not have a bandsaw without some type of brake - either foot brake or electronic brake from a VFD. I’m sure some folks just deal with that, but for safety and efficiency I think a brake is crucial.
    Still waters run deep.

I have been waiting months on my Harvey 615 to ship. I did like the Harvey the best for the price. One of my main deciding factors was the tin coated top (not sure if that is a option of the saw you are looking at). I would take availability into account if there is any difference. My ship date has been pushed back a couple times and now isn't until late mach.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch schiffer View Post
    I have been waiting months on my Harvey 615 to ship. I did like the Harvey the best for the price. One of my main deciding factors was the tin coated top (not sure if that is a option of the saw you are looking at). I would take availability into account if there is any difference. My ship date has been pushed back a couple times and now isn't until late mach.
    I just placed an order for a Harvey 615P yesterday. Hopefully that late March estimate doesn't keep changing!
    And there was trouble, taking place...

I bought the C14 a few months ago, when the price was $1399. It was supposed to ship in 6 weeks, but it arrived in three. I know that availabilty might have gone downhill since then.

I bought it to replace my 30 year old 14" Jet with the riser block and Carter guides. I want to do more resawing, and the Jet just didn't have it.

Pros: with the Harvey....It's very well built. I don't have much to compare it to, but it is more heavy duty than my Jet (in every way). I haven't tried resawing yet, but I have cut curves and some thick pieces.

Another pro: it was packed well and almost completley set up. I had to do very little to get it usable.

Another pro: the brake is great. I thought the process was to turn off the power and use the brake to cut down on spinning time. But the brake also turns off the power, so hands can stay on the piece .

Cons: Support is overworked. It shipped with a defective power switch. It took several days to talk to someone, and another couple to get a new switch sent.

Another con: I'm putting everything on mobile bases, and bought the Harvey. This is the only base I have that doesn't use metal side rails. It's on a 3/4" piece of plywood that flexes too much. I'll replace it with a different mobile base.

Overall, I think I got a bargain with the Harvey and feel it will be all I need for years to come. Sorry I don't have any comparisons to the SF.

I went ahead and just ordered the C14. I paid $1699 during their "Lunar New Year Special". Interesting that when I first looked at the web site yesterday they had 35 at that price; now it is down to 15. I talked to support and they put a note on the order not to ship until March 4, so as not to get to my home while we might be away.

And something I have never seen before when buying via a website. There was a place to include a tip, which I thought was a bit odd and do not understand.

Quote Originally Posted by Clifford McGuire View Post

Cons: Support is overworked. It shipped with a defective power switch. It took several days to talk to someone, and another couple to get a new switch sent.

Another con: I'm putting everything on mobile bases, and bought the Harvey. This is the only base I have that doesn't use metal side rails. It's on a 3/4" piece of plywood that flexes too much. I'll replace it with a different mobile base.
    I emailed Harvey one day last week to ask about some details on the Alpha 615P and they got back to me very quickly. I went back and forth with them a few times and they were always quick to respond. Hopefully their support is better now than it was previously, or perhaps I hit a different area of their team.

I passed on ordering the Harvey mobile base because of the fact that it's plywood based. I had a feeling that might flex a bit, so thanks for confirming that. Instead I'm looking at some of the Portamate bases. My current bandsaw (G0555 w/ riser) is on a shop-built base with 4 rotating / locking casters (and space to store blades, etc.). Almost all of my mobile tools are on fully rotating casters, but I'm not yet convinced I need that for the new bandsaw. It will depend on where I keep it when not in use, and how much maneuvering I need out of it. If I'm able to keep it against the wall when not in use and only have to slide it straight out for usage then a base with 2 rotating and 2 fixed wheels should work.

Quote Originally Posted by Clifford McGuire View Post
    Clifford, I have the Harvey mobile base but used a double layer of 3/4 ply, it seems pretty solid. Did your base come with the longer screws to support a 1.5" base?

IMG_2065.jpeg

On mobile bases the Grizzly Bear Claw is tough to beat.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Braun View Post
    Clifford, I have the Harvey mobile base but used a double layer of 3/4 ply, it seems pretty solid. Did your base come with the longer screws to support a 1.5" base?

IMG_2065.jpeg
    Hi Jim, You know, I think it did come with the longer screws. Thanks for the suggestion. That should help a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Wurster View Post
    I just placed an order for a Harvey 615P yesterday. Hopefully that late March estimate doesn't keep changing!
    Good news I just got my shipping confirmation today. Maybe you will get yours soon too.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch schiffer View Post
    Good news I just got my shipping confirmation today. Maybe you will get yours soon too.
    Sweet!

I actually don't want to get mine too quickly. Snow on the ground means I won't be able to move it into my basement right away (it will go into the garage upon delivery, but that means my wife's car will have to sit in the driveway). I also have to make sure one of my neighbors is available to help me get the unit down into the basement, but I haven't asked anyone yet! Plus we'll be out of town for a few days later this month so I definitely don't want it to arrive at that point. Further into March or April is actually fine with me.

Sweet!

I actually don't want to get mine too quickly. Snow on the ground means I won't be able to move it into my basement right away (it will go into the garage upon delivery, but that means my wife's car will have to sit in the driveway). I also have to make sure one of my neighbors is available to help me get the unit down into the basement, but I haven't asked anyone yet! Plus we'll be out of town for a few days later this month so I definitely don't want it to arrive at that point. Further into March or April is actually fine with me.
    I rented an appliance dolly. The C14 is shaped similar to a refrigerator and about as heavy. I was able to get mine down into the basement with three guys. As we were goig down the stairs, we had one on each handle lowering it slowly. And one at the other end, keeping it going staight and providing some resistance.

We left it crated/packaged until we had it in the basement.

Sweet!

I actually don't want to get mine too quickly. Snow on the ground means I won't be able to move it into my basement right away (it will go into the garage upon delivery, but that means my wife's car will have to sit in the driveway).
    The week I got mine we were scheduled for heavy rain and I wasn't sure if i could get it into the garage with out some unpacking/disassembly. I asked the freight company, Daylight Transport, to hold it for a few days. It ended up just fitting under the door, on the skid with a pallet jack.