Thread: I want to make my own silicone spatulas

I want to make my own silicone spatulas

Has anyone here made or know how to make your own silicone spatulas? My daughter wants me to make handles for silicone spatulas and I have no idea how to make a heat resistant silicone spatula "head". Anybody done this already?
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

I've been very happy with the products and customer service from Smooth-On. I'd give them a call and ask which product to use-- they have a bewildering array.

You'll need to make or find a head shape you like, make a silicone rubber mold of it, then use a casting resin (also silicone presumably, only something that sets up harder) to make your actual product. Note it will probably be much cheaper (but much less fun) to buy a spatula and make a new handle for it.

Quote Originally Posted by roger wiegand View Post
    Note it will probably be much cheaper (but much less fun) to buy a spatula and make a new handle for it.
    Amen brother!

There is all sorts of silicone mold casting stuff on Amazon. I've used it to make molds to cast window sills out of concrete that look like old wooden ones. I make new ones out of wood, wire brush the grain to look old, and pull a mold off of that. The stuff is not hard to use. It stretches like you would expect silicone to, enough to get it off the concrete. I expect you could do the reverse, and make a mold to pour the silicone in.

I have made silicone molds on non-skid on catamaran decks to match fiberglass repairs. I used dish detergent, and let it dry for a release over the good parts that I made those molds from, then pressed the silicone molds into fresh gelcoat, after rinsing off the soap, and used mold release wax on silicone before pressing it into the gelcoat. I just used silicone caulking for that, and it worked fine.

Someone probably has a youtube video on how to do it.
    Last edited by Tom M King; 01-30-2022 at 9:56 PM.