Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Flush trimming / pattern cutting on shaper with rabbeting block and bearing?

Flush trimming / pattern cutting on shaper with rabbeting block and bearing?

I have this 125mm x 50mm Amana steel rabbeting block with shear cutting carbide insert knives and knickers - https://www.toolstoday.com/v-7718-61482.html

I have a some work coming up that would really benefit from having a pattern cutting setup in place and am wondering if I can use this rabbeting block with a rub collar type bearing as a lower budget pattern cutting setup compared to buying a separate spiral insert head?

If so, is this what I’m looking for?

https://www.toolstoday.com/v-7665-61620.html

I want totally flush cutting with the template so I’m assuming a 125mm OD on the bearing is what I after. I’m confused because the photo of a red aluminum solid disk with a bore in it does not look like a rub collar but maybe the photo is wrong.

I realize that this setup is limited by the height of the cutterhead (50mm) and is a relatively large radius cutting circle (125mm) and will limit how tight of a radius I can cut. I think for the upcoming project, neither one of those constraints will matter. I’m sure I will end up with a nice separate insert pattern head at some point in the future, but wondering if a $30-40 bearing collar will accomplish what I’m after in the short term compared to a $200-800 insert head.

Any thoughts? Thanks!
    Last edited by Phillip Mitchell; 01-30-2022 at 12:51 PM. Reason: Details
    Still waters run deep.

That is exactly what you are looking for Phillip. Additionally, you will need the bearing, part #61599 which you could use with other collars of different diameters.

That's what you want, but totally flush cutting is not guaranteed. There is tolerance in everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Todrin View Post
    That is exactly what you are looking for Phillip. Additionally, you will need the bearing, part #61599 which you could use with other collars of different diameters.
    Ah ok, I’m got it now. Thank you for the clarity!
    Still waters run deep.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    That's what you want, but totally flush cutting is not guaranteed. There is tolerance in everything.
    Thanks, yeah that’s to be expected I suppose. This will be for a batch of chair parts so consistency in dimension is the important part.
    Still waters run deep.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Mitchell View Post
    Thanks, yeah that’s to be expected I suppose. This will be for a batch of chair parts so consistency in dimension is the important part.
    It will work great, that’s my standard method of pattern copying……Rod.

this has been posted enough times in the past but it never gets tired. I would pick my overhead ear protectors over the hat

OWA 2_zps2yudpchh.jpg
    Last edited by Warren Lake; 01-30-2022 at 8:09 PM.

Thanks Warren. Haven’t seen that one before. That was a different era for sure!

What’s the origin / history of this photo? Looks like early 1900s if I had to venture a guess on when.
    Still waters run deep.

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Lake View Post
    this has been posted enough times in the past but it never gets tired. I would pick my overhead ear protectors over the hat

OWA 2_zps2yudpchh.jpg
    A rare sighting of a shaper with overhead bearing.

at one point I could tell you where that was from cant remember now. Maybe Jack posted it. Here is the junior version. Each generation of tooling had things unique to it. You can adjust projection in serrated edge.

P1670721A.jpg

For years I used the type Warren posted . The 4 inch diameter corg heads work well too, but for stair rail parts ….not much good. But not
    much of that work is done now.

Jack said an interesting thing once about shavings going through the head, that was an interesting statement.

P1670722A.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Mitchell View Post
    Thanks Warren. Haven’t seen that one before. That was a different era for sure!

What’s the origin / history of this photo? Looks like early 1900s if I had to venture a guess on when.
    That Dick Tracy looking hat seems later to me…maybe 1940’s-1950’s. In my hometown men dressed like that right up until the Kennedy era.

On edit: I have a bow front dresser made in Grand Rapids sometime last century. Now my toes will curl everytime I look at it.

I had a small smooth bevel edge collar set and knives once that came with a Boice Crane shaper. Never dared use them. My neighbor has two Schmidt lock edge collar sets with bearings, excellent for moulding contoured edges.

Blog Entries
    Call me crazy, but I wouldn't mind having that top bearing setup with the 9"+ head. Though a considerably larger fixture and some guarded hand holds would be needed.