Thread: new guy with CNC questions

new guy with CNC questions

Hey everybody. Hope this winter is treating you well. Now that I've been frozen out of my shop for a while I've been nosing around the net for some new ideas and came across what was probably a more popular art form in the 70s, but is still quite captivating....parametric wall art design (pic below)...which of course led quickly to studying the gorgeous CNC machines that produce these designs and their associated software.

I like the tiling feature the X Carve Pro offers but I haven't read about it being offered on any other CNC machine. What Inventables calls 'tiling' is where you can cut pieces larger than your CNC table by sliding your wood/material through and let it do one section at a time.

1) Is there any way to make the AVID PRO 510 do this tiling function or is this something only Xcarve has right now?

2) V Carve Pro is SO expensive! Is there ANY way to get it cheaper than it's retail price? I've seen where you can get an activation code if you're part of an educational group, so wonder if that could be cheaper. Also, would be nice to be able to split a subscription with someone.

3) I believe I've seen where Fusion 360 was suggested as a good program to use if you're working with parametric designs. Any opinions on this?

4) And last, I'm still searching for the best forum to ask these kinds of CNC and software questions. If there's a more appropriate place than here please do let me know.

Thanks

wall art.jpg
    If the end of the world ever comes move to Kentucky, because everything there happens 20 years later. ~ Mark Twain
    History began on July 4, 1776. Everything before that was a mistake. ~ Ron Swanson
    The economy of what you say lends more to it's meaning than the depth of it's exclamation.
    If you need a tool and don't get it, you paid for not having it and you still don't have it.

Tiling can be done, pretty much on any CNC. It's more to do with your software and thinking about how to arrange your registration points and build those into the CAD piece of your design.

Tiling is relatively easy when your finished piece stays within the width of your X axis, including registration points. In your photograph, I assume this is made up of lots of individual ribs and assembled away from the CNC. So each of those ribs would have its own design, tool path and tiling registration points. Likely, the registration point would be the same for each piece.

Tiling is a software function, any machine can handle it within its size limits.

VCarve Pro is expensive - on what basis? Compared to what? What is your time worth? It is a very capable program with excellent wide ranging tutorials, a liberal license program, regular upgrades and an active user forum. Unfortunately, although it will draw the ribs in your wall art photo, it won't do the 3D array, although you could import the parts into VCarve from another 3D program for toolpathing. I think you would be able to draw the array in Vectric Aspire and rotate the ribs for machining on the flat, but I can't say for sure.

You can download Vectric programs onto 3 computers, but I don't believe sharing with another user (multiple seats) would be allowed - talk to Vectric. It may be fine as long as multiple users are not on at once. The license would not be shared.

Many people use Fusion 360. it should work for designing the arrays you are interested in. I found it a bit confusing, but I didn't put much effort into it. Any CAD/CAM program requires a significant time investment for proficiency. I believe it is still free for low revenue commercial and private use, although that may change. There are a wide range of 3D programs that might work for your design requirements including Rhino, Blender and many others. You will still need a CAM element, and Fusion has the advantage of being an integrated CAD/CAM program.

Vectric, Camaster, Shopbot, Woodweb and CNCZone all have forums worth looking at. I suggest you look on the Camheads site for a thread by Gary Campbell entitled "Buying a CNC? Do your homework!!"

That is an interesting use of a CNC router. I remember seeing a similar array used for horizontal shelving in a display at the MMA in New York some time ago. Stephen Hogbin did some similar large scale work using a router mounted on a large trammel, expanding on his re-assembled lathe work. There are plenty of unpopulated avenues for creative work with this technology. Have fun!
    Last edited by Kevin Jenness; 01-30-2022 at 10:59 AM.

1) For the most part "Tiling" is a function of your design (CAM) software. It has been an integral part of Vectric products for a number of years

2) Batman Cheap Hobby.jpg

3) It may be, but I have never been a fan of the monthly pay as you play plan

4) For design (CAM) software visit the forum provided by the software Vendor. Vectric for Vectric products, Fusion, Autocad, CarveCo all have them. Machine mfgr's have theirs too.
    Gary Campbell
    CNC Replacement & Upgrade Controllers
    Custom 9012 Centroid ATC

2)I have Aspire. My brother uses one of my 3 available computer licenses. I have never had an issue. I don't recall anywhere in the fine print where that was not allowed.

3)I use the free Fusion 360 version for my 3d printer. it is great for that but can't imagine using it for a cnc. Vetric software is so much easier to use

Quote Originally Posted by Cary Falk View Post
    2)I have Aspire. My brother uses one of my 3 available computer licenses. I have never had an issue. I don't recall anywhere in the fine print where that was not allowed.
    From the Vectric site:

Vectric's license allows any of our software programs to be installed on up to 3 PC's for a single user.
    If access to any one of the computers is shared with work colleagues, or anyone who is likely
    to access the software, then the software must only be installed onto one computer.

This suggests that Vectric doesn't want more than one user exploiting a license at the same time (one "seat"), and if more than one person uses the program it has to be done on a single computer..
    Last edited by Kevin Jenness; 02-04-2022 at 10:14 AM.

Kevin is correct. Vectric lets a single user install the application on multiple machines for convenience...I use that feature with my primary drawing/design being done on my Mac (Windows virtualized) and a second installation on the Windows machine that controls my CNC machine so I can make adjustments or do quick designs/files while in the shop. This is not an uncommon need for many folks.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...