Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Rationale for Sole Flattening

Quote Originally Posted by Alan DuBoff
    ... To paraphrase Bob, Japanese tools might not be the best for inexperienced woodworkers....
    I still have to disagree. I picked up Japanese tools without knowing anything or anyone (I've been doing woodworking on and off since I was 11), started using them, loved them, got more interested, learned some things, and so on. And to repeat, I knew quite well that I had major issues with western saws (except the backsaws, with which I was able to hand cut perfect dovetails first time), chisels, and planes. I didn't have those issues with even the cheaper Japanese tools, which worked fine on first use. As I learned more and tried to use more advanced hand made tools, I made a couple of mistakes (remember, no mentors in Texas); but the pay back was enormous. I know that I like small set, very thin, pull saws much, much better than western saws. And that's all I'm going to say on the issue in this thread.

Pam

FYI - Lee Valley now sells a small replaceable blade rip dozuki with a 18tpi - anybody tried one?

They also have a larger non-replaceable blade version but it appears to have impulse hardened teeth, they say RC61!, so you can't sharpen it. That's an odd combination: not sharpenable,unless you bake it in the oven to soften it , and not a replaceable blade either. Anybody tried one of these?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Burnard
    FYI - Lee Valley now sells a small replaceable blade rip dozuki with a 18tpi - anybody tried one?

They also have a larger non-replaceable blade version but it appears to have impulse hardened teeth, they say RC61!, so you can't sharpen it. That's an odd combination: not sharpenable,unless you bake it in the oven to soften it , and not a replaceable blade either. Anybody tried one of these?
    I have their Steel back dozuki, South Korean made, and it works great. It was also the primary Dozuki in the wood shop of the local arts center. Can't say much about the two rip dozukis you mention.
    The means by which an end is reached must exemplify the value of the end itself.

Since it came up in an earlier post I would like to offer my 2c regarding sharpening a dozuki, and I am a novice neander at best.

My first experience with a dozuki was about this time last year and really liked it. This was during a woodworking class at the local arts center and learning how to handcut dovetails. Soon after I discovered the benefits of a rip filed saw for rip cuts (which a dovetail essentailly is). A while back I had sharpened a HD bought Buck Bros. cross cut saw to see if I can do it, got encouraged and decided to try my hands at a Dozuki. The target of this adventure was a $18 Harbor Freight dozuki. Since my HF dozuki was cross cut and was cheap enough to experiment with I got myself a Japanese feather file and basically followed the procedure of filing any western saw in a rip pattern. The procedure I followed came from the vintage saw website and postings of Bob S. The resulting dozuki can cut through purple heart without any problem. I have tried the same saw for cross as well as rip cuts and never really have any problems. Of course it goes through soft pine like a warm knife through butter. I did break a tooth on the saw but only because I was tired and was pushing down on the saw to work faster.

I can't compare this with any high end western saw, 'cause I have never used one. Just my personal experience, I really don't care about the heritage of a tool. If it works for me and I can afford it that's all that matters.
    Last edited by Zahid Naqvi; 01-27-2006 at 11:50 PM.
    The means by which an end is reached must exemplify the value of the end itself.