Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mission Desk

Mission Desk

Mission desk....66" wide, 30 " Deep. I will post some more pics when I move it to the office.

Desk Back Left.jpg

Desk Left Front 2.jpg

Desk Left Front 3.jpg

Desk Left Front.jpg

Dest Top Left Front.jpg
    Chris

More beautiful work Christian! You're on quite a roll with the mission style.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Awesome color and figure.
    It has a Ethan Allen furniture look but much cleaner and nicer.
    Aj

The wood grain is an absolute delight. The fit and finish of the drawers precise. That is an exceptional desk. The ‘computer hole’ made me gasp. Could it have come from the top back? What if computers go out of date in the next 50 years? Young people will wonder what the hole was for!
    Inspired me to hopefully try and match your standard!
    ​You can do a lot with very little! You can do a little more with a lot!

Looks great! Would you mind sharing info on finishing steps? Thanks!
    Rustic? Well, no. That was not my intention!

Great looking wood and a great looking desk.
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

Chris,

You did a great job selecting the pieces for grain, and the color tone is great too.

PCG

That is a handsome piece of furniture. My reaction to the wire port was similar to William’s. I don’t think I could have brought myself to drill that hole. Nice work. Very well done.

Very nice job. I especially like the uniformity of the finish. It has that chocolate brown fumed look. What was your process?
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Wonderful!! great proportions, wood, finish... all top notch

Thanks all for the kind comments....
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by William Fretwell View Post
    The wood grain is an absolute delight. The fit and finish of the drawers precise. That is an exceptional desk. The ‘computer hole’ made me gasp. Could it have come from the top back? What if computers go out of date in the next 50 years? Young people will wonder what the hole was for!
    Inspired me to hopefully try and match your standard!
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe A Faulkner View Post
    That is a handsome piece of furniture. My reaction to the wire port was similar to William’s. I don’t think I could have brought myself to drill that hole. Nice work. Very well done.

The desk will be positioned in the middle of the room, so I wanted to minimize the wires exposed. The wire port on the top allows access to the power strip located under the middle of the desk.

power strip.jpg

The cord for the power strip is routed inside the cabinet, and out the middle of the bottom of the cabinet. This will allow me to run the power cord under an area rug to the wall receptacle without being seen.

wire in cabinet.jpg
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by David Utterback View Post
    Looks great! Would you mind sharing info on finishing steps? Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Luter View Post
    Very nice job. I especially like the uniformity of the finish. It has that chocolate brown fumed look. What was your process?
    For the finish I used the method prescribed by Jeff Jewitt in this document: https://homesteadfinishingproducts.com/stickley.pdf

The actual combination of dye and gel stain I used is not in the document. I have finished previous pieces using “Centennial” formula and the finish is dark (which the wife likes). For the office furniture, I wanted to go a little lighter, so I used Antique Walnut gel stain instead of the Java gel stain. So, the combination for “staining” is Dark Mission Brown dye and Antique Walnut gel stain.

The other difference is I used Zar oil based poly with matte sheen instead of arm-r-seal. I pre-finish prior to assembly as much as possible and apply the poly with the pieces laying horizontally. This allows the vanish to level out nicely.
    Chris

Finally moved the desk into the office and got the latop and monitors hooked up.

in office back.jpg

in office front.jpg
    Chris

Blog Entries
    Beautiful! White oak?