Thread: Sharpening craftsman spindle gouge?

Sharpening craftsman spindle gouge?

I have a few gouges that my dad had and a few other from a set I picked up for cheap. They are craftsman gouges and some are in pretty new condition, at least they appear to be. However, they are not long enough to stick out of the wolverine sharnening fixture to allow the "normal" set up for spindle gouges. Is there a way to sharpen them without the fixture and make it repeatable? I hate to just toss them.
    Denny

Always try to be the best but, never think you are the best.

Maybe a good time to practice free hand sharpening? Unless others have ideas you will have to remove the handle if you want to use the jig. Grab the blade in a vise, put a scrap piece of wood against the ferrule and tap the handle off with a hammer. After it's sharpened put the blade back in the vise and tap the end of the handle to reseat. If this gets old or takes too long you can buy a handle that uses setscrews or buy an adapter for your wood handle to convert it to setscrews.

I'm assuming they are spindle gouges so you don't have to use the fixture. Just set them up like this.