Thread: Curious About These Waterstones

Curious About These Waterstones

Our local woodworking club's December meeting/Christmas party featured a silent auction for the benefit of the club's coffers. It consisted chiefly of items members no longer wanted in their workshops, some new, some used, like this set of waterstones that became mine for the princely sum of $5.
    Waterstones.jpg
    I'm still satisfied with my DMTs and my Arkansas stones, so I bid on these thinking I'll get around to experimenting with them some time later. I believe they came from an estate that the member who brought them was helping to liquidate.

The main question for the Neanderthal community would be what your guess is as to the grit of the stone on the right. Two of them came in their original boxes as shown, a #800 and a #1500, but the dark-colored stone is unmarked. The feel of the dark stone is closer to that of the #1500 than the #800, which is about all I can say about it. What might have been the typical grit of this third stone at the time this particular trio would have been commonly used?

Looking forward to your answers.
    Chuck Taylor

Looks an awful lot like my Hilda 1000 grit stone - though lots of companies have stones that look identical. I’d guess it’s in that range give or take a couple of 100.

King 800 maybe? Maybe make some scratches on a tool and see how they look,

Looks like my King 1000, agree with chuck, make some scratches.

Thanks, all. I agree with the advice to make some scratches and compare.
    Chuck Taylor

It looks King 800

One more vote for King 800 like the one I own.