Thread: what glue for box feet on wet floors?

what glue for box feet on wet floors?

This is probably the fourth thread I have started for my current project. I am building a galoot style saw till, and pushing my personal envelope/ comfort zone pretty hard.

I want to put feet on the bottom of the thing. When I move, I am going to nail some boards up the front so I have a ready made shipping crate. If the moving company happens to set the crate/till down on a damp floor I don't want to worry.

I am using American Beech as my primary and poplar as my secondary wood. Right now I have poplar feet, glued crossgrain, held on with fish glue. I am about to find out just how water soluble fully cured fish glue is.

For the next feet, would it make more sense to use epoxy and beech - not glued crossgrain? I just cooked a couple tri-tips with most of my scraps of beech yesterday, but I can probably find enough beech left over to make four golf ball sized feet.

Besides fish glue and West system epoxy in stock, I have some small quantity of CA glue as well. I am currently out of PVA but will certainly restock that fairly soon. Beech is fairly low in rot resistance, so not a lot of online commentary from boat builders about using epoxy to fasten beech. Plenty of river pour tables, but I don't look to that community for longevity advice. I usually buy TB2 since I stock epoxy, is this a job for TB3?

I am such a moron. Appreciate all y'alls patience.

I'm not familiar with the project, but could you just attach the feet with a wood screw? Especially if there is a chance they could get mucked up during transport. For that matter, maybe just screw on some temporary/sacrificial feet for now until it gets to it permanent home.

I wouldn’t glue any feet on. If they’re ever damaged you’ll want to be able to replace them.

I will think about screws, thanks.

I got one of my existing (fish glued) feet off a bit too easily to relax about fish glue as a solution for wet floors. I did use water, a heat gun, and a 20 oz mallet; but I got the first of two off in about 20 minutes. Not confidence inspiring.

Having been playing with it some more, I am overall impressed with fish glue. Fully cured joints stand up to mallet and heat just fine. Get some water in there, game over. Choosing fish glue for feet on a crate that might end up on a wet floor is no bueno. Choosing fish glue for feet on a crate that might get beat on with sledge hammers while stored in a desert is a fine idea. It is the water that weakens the bond I find. I will look for some TB3 or suitable screws next trip to the homestore.

That glue is water soluble, isn't it? If it's going to be exposed to the outdoors for shipping, that does not sound like the right way to go. I'd screw the feet up and replace it when needed.

I'd nail rot strips to the bottom instead. Especially if moving is planned.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut