Thread: No tires on Grizzly 9966 7.5 hp resaw bandsaw?

No tires on Grizzly 9966 7.5 hp resaw bandsaw?

I just bought a used Grizzly 9966 7.5 hp resaw bandsaw from a boatyard that was cleaning out an old storage space. It came with a box of 2" resaw blades and the spec sheet gives 1"-3" as the blade width range. Everything has a little surface rust but seems to be in good condition overall.

The thing that has me scratching my head is the wheels are bare steel with no tires. Anyone have experience with this type of setup? I'm guessing it allows for higher blade tension and you just have to make sure the blade teeth are overhanging the edge of the wheels?

I just looked at a copy of the manual/parts list and they don't show tires, so I would say it is meant to run without them

Most large heavy resaws run the blades straight on the wheels. Too much load on the blade for tires.

Just like metal cutting saws these don’t have tires…..Rod

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Just like metal cutting saws these don’t have tires…..Rod
    I just bought a new Ellis metal cutting bandsaw and was surprised to see it has tires. New experience for me, it works very well though.

In the metal working side the production bandsaws I'm familiar with didn't have tires. No doubt they would have loaded up with metal chips. I don't think the band saw mill I was around had tires either.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Rozmiarek View Post
    I just bought a new Ellis metal cutting bandsaw and was surprised to see it has tires. New experience for me, it works very well though.
    Very interesting Steve, presume the weather is cold now?

Regards, Rod

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Very interesting Steve, presume the weather is cold now?

Regards, Rod
    Hi Rob, weather here is typical Nebraska winter now, supposed to be 65F today, with 45mph wind, tomorrow a front starts through with highs around 0F for a good part of the week. I wonder how common swings like that are in the rest of the world, do they happen up there?

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Busby View Post
    I just bought a used Grizzly 9966 7.5 hp resaw bandsaw from a boatyard that was cleaning out an old storage space. It came with a box of 2" resaw blades and the spec sheet gives 1"-3" as the blade width range. Everything has a little surface rust but seems to be in good condition overall.

The thing that has me scratching my head is the wheels are bare steel with no tires. Anyone have experience with this type of setup? I'm guessing it allows for higher blade tension and you just have to make sure the blade teeth are overhanging the edge of the wheels?
    My 16" 30hp Grizzly horizontal resaw does not have tires. Adjust the blades so that the gullet is in front of the wheels and you'll be fine.