Thread: Planer (Shop Fox)

Planer (Shop Fox)

I read about 'supply chain' issues and the rising cost of woodworking tools, so want some opinions on value.
    A fellow is selling a 'like new' Shop Fox 1742 (15" planer) but wants $2500 for it.
    I can't find current prices, because the sites say "unavailable". Old sites were charging $1500 for that model. It's not Powermatic, but they now want $5,000.

Yes condition matters, but in general where is the line between a "fair price" and a "good deal"? If I have to take risks of a used machine (even lightly used) then I want a "good deal"

This place has it for $3k delivered.

https://leneavesupply.com/w1742sshop.html

Here’s the Grizzly equivalent.

https://www.grizzly.com/products/gri...erhead/g1021x2

Remember Shop Fox is basically a white Grizzly (and Powermatic is basically a gold Grizzly for that matter).

$2500 used for something that is about $3k brand new with warranty is not a good deal IMO. unless you absolutely need it now and it will make you money working with it for a business. I’d offer $2k if it’s in really good shape. But then again, I’m a bottom feeder and have never spent more than $1200 on a stationary machine - that’s after adding a VFD and restoration, so I’d never pay $2k!

That doesn't seem like a great deal I think most similar planers are selling new around 3k. If it is a helical head vs a straight knife makes a difference. Grizzly has 15 inch straight knife planers in stock for 2570. In today's market used pricing is hard. If you need it soon and can't find one in stock maybe its not too bad. I have bought several lightly used machines at 60-70 percent of retail price in the past year.

I appreciate the advice from Mitch and Matt.
    Although I'm not a professional who has to replace a machine to sustain production, I understand that's my competition as a buyer. If $3k is a new price, then $1800-$2100 is 60-70%. If that's a "fair price" then I guess a "good deal" would be $1500 or less.

My DeWalt 735 (with a helical head) does a nice job, but it overheats long before I'm ready to stop. (I replaced bearings and the heat protection switch, stopped using an extension cord). I can 'limp along' without a 15" planer, so my "never mind" price is probably too low for almost all sellers.
    Last edited by David Kenagy; 01-27-2022 at 2:16 PM. Reason: typo

Is the one your looking at a helical head? If so I would say to me 2000$ would be a good price for a lightly used machine. I don't think you will have much luck for less then that in today market.

Yes, it is a helical head. I think I'll try to word a diplomatic way of hinting that I'm interested, but he's over my budget. If he sells quickly to someone else, then it wasn't meant to be... I can work the specifics ($2K) in person, if it's as clean a machine as he implies.

I'm only seeing 2 prices locally, insanely high near retail price being asked for used machines from people trying to cash in on supply chain issues. Or below market price from those trying to sell machines quickly, typically because they are moving. There's not much of anything priced 'at' fair market value.

Quote Originally Posted by David Kenagy View Post
    Yes, it is a helical head. I think I'll try to word a diplomatic way of hinting that I'm interested, but he's over my budget. If he sells quickly to someone else, then it wasn't meant to be... I can work the specifics ($2K) in person, if it's as clean a machine as he implies.
    Caution: Look at the outfeed roller. I had a Grizzly 15 some years back. The outfeed roller was not smooth like the Powermatic 15HH at the time. It had a pattern machined into the roller for grip and it pressed this pattern into the surface of the wood and that was a giant pain to sand off. Sometimes you could not see this pattern until you applied stain or finish. The second issue was worse, a chip would get stuck between the outfeed roller and wood, that would press a dent into the surface of the wood but worse the chip would get stuck in the textured surface of the roller then spin around denting the wood again and again as it passes under the roller. For this reason I sold off the Grizzly and purchased a Powermatic 15HH which had a smooth steel outfeed roller.