Thread: Vertias "custom" hand plane question

Vertias "custom" hand plane question

I recently bought couple of Vertias "custom" 4-1/2 & 5-1/2 bevel-down planes from Lee Valley. They are wonderful and I love them. My only complaint is that the allen screws that secure the "blade carrier" and chipbreaker are easily stripped. I've also lost the cap screw that secures the Chipbreaker more than once. Anybody have a solution?
    IMG_5180.jpgIMG_5181.jpg
    - Jason White
    YouTube.com/UncleJasonsWorkshop

Lee Valley customer support would be first on my list if the screw is lost. If you still have it, just figure what it is in terms of diameter and thread pitch, then buy a 25 or a 50 count bag of it from Fastenal or a similar vendor. Lee Valley doesn't manufacture them in-house, so most probably it's just a standard fastener.

I am sure Lee Valley will replace them. But the question is, “how do you manage to mangle them?”. I have owned and used these planes longer than anyone and my screws remain pristine.

Very early on I purchased a driver, rather than use the hex thingie ..

Secondly, the button-headed screw is tightened first. If you tighten the hex head first, the blade will moved slightly.

Regards from Perth

Derek

I probably just overtightened them. Will try to find a driver. I still think the screw/blade carrier design is odd. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    I am sure Lee Valley will replace them. But the question is, “how do you manage to mangle them?”. I have owned and used these planes longer than anyone and my screws remain pristine.

Very early on I purchased a driver, rather than use the hex thingie ..

Secondly, the button-headed screw is tightened first. If you tighten the hex head first, the blade will moved slightly.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Last edited by Jason White; 01-27-2022 at 7:32 PM.
    - Jason White
    YouTube.com/UncleJasonsWorkshop