Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Compressor 101

Quote Originally Posted by Ned Otter View Post
    Thanks, Jim - exactly the type of feedback I was interested in.

The compressor will also need to "power" a brad nailer, that's the only other pneumatic device I have in the shop at the moment. Haven't decided on a compressor yet, but what ever it is, it will need to be on wheels. Had looked at the 20 gallon Ingersoll-Rand, as it's mobile. But other smaller units could be made to be mobile if desired. Still trying to figure it all out.

thanks again
    The IR GarageMate is a really nice portable compressor...decent performance and runs on 120v 20 amp power. My suggestion would be to have a dedicated regulator at the slider so you have the pressure nailed for that application and leave the compressor mounted regulator set to 90 lbs for pneumatic nailing which is likely higher than you want/need for the clamps. (but I don't know what their requirements are for)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks, Jim

The horror fright $6 regulator is small and lightweight with a gauge. Nice for nail guns. Be careful the more expensive version is not a regulator it is just a needle valve with a gauge. The $6 one often goes on sale. I have one with quick connects on it that moves between tools at the end of the hose.
    probably too small for blasting but works with their paint gun.
    Bill D.

https://www.harborfreight.com/150-ps...uge-68223.html

Go big or go small. For years I used a 40 gal 3hp comprssor. It was too big to be portable for stuff like nailing in trim in the house with a brad nailer or a quick tire. It was also too small for tools with bigger air volume requirements like sanders and a blast cabinet.

For your clamps I would go with one of the smaller, lighter units like the California air tool compressors mentioned above. Clamps should consume very little air.

Stay away from cheap Harbor Freight and big box (HD and Lowes) cheap quick fittings. I have a bunch of them and it is kind of like running a new main water line into the house with wooden pipes.
    Last edited by Michael Schuch; 02-03-2022 at 4:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Schuch View Post
    Go big or go small. For years I used a 40 gal 3hp comprssor. It was too big to be portable for stuff like nailing in trim in the house with a brad nailer or a quick tire. It was also too small for tools with bigger air volume requirements like sanders and a blast cabinet.
    +1 on this. I have a large reconditioned IR compressor for things like sandblasting. But then I have a small wheelbarrow compressor for portability and convenience.

Dewalt 8gal wheelbarrow compressor. I like it because it runs on 110V OR 220V (depends on what I want, 220V for the higher demand/higher pressure uses). Also it is a traditional 2 stage 'piston' compressor. Running at low RPM. This makes it both quiet and long life.

I bought 2-100' of flexzilla and bought ends so I cut 1 of the hoses into a 50',35',15'. This gives me enough to get to any corner of the house for trim.

I have gone though a bunch of compressors. The first I bought was an 80 gallon IR when I was working on cars. Unfortunately its 208 3ph so it stayed at my office. My company goes through 1 or 2 a year leak testing pipe. We buy those in a wide variety some very small if the job consists of a small amount of small bore pipe. We will go as big as we can and be portable and work off 15/20 amp 110 outlets. Leak testing puts a pretty big strain on them.

For my house I trade with work often right now I have a cheep pancake but have had larger semi decent ones. It is loud and forces me to use 18 gauge brads because my grex cordless is 18. I should buy the 23 gauge cordless and sell off the corded stuff. So I dont have to here the compressor.

Final thoughts Get something with a 5 gallon tank if you have the room so it wont run as often. Quiet is a good thing. Hoses/fittings are important. Bubble test all joints so the thing wont run when not in use. Maintain it

Even the cheap HF quick connects can be taken apart and new O-rings installed. Problem is I do not know the size or a local source for the O-rings. Every time I need to fix one I need it now so i just buy a new one to replace it.
    Bill D

Some of my Milton type H connectors are 47 years old, and still working. There are better ones now, but I'm well used to these, and have way too many to think about changing. They pass enough air to run anything but the rock drill.

I think the only one I ever changed was the coupler at the connection of two 100' hoses that got drug out of the step van almost every day for the 25 years I was using one. The outside was worn down so smooth that it was a pain to activate it.

thanks much to all who replied, much appreciated