Thread: Festool 8-hole sandpaper

Festool 8-hole sandpaper

Does anyone know if standard 8-hole sandpaper for ROS will fit a Festool 5" ROS? Looking at the pics, it appears the Festool sander holes don't align with std 8 hole paper.
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

To my knowledge you have to get sandapaper specifically for Festool.

I get the Festool-specified Rhyno discs from Industrial Abrasives.

Can you live with no holes..? Use Mirka Abranet (mesh). I use these for finer grits (>240) in hook-n-loop and dust collection is fine via the mesh. Mirka looks to offer grits from 40 up.

Klingspor makes a good cheaper substitute for Festool paper.

The Diablo sanding mesh works well on my Festool. Just make sure you purchase the Festool intermediate pad so you don't ruin the real pad

Thanks to all. Actually, I was coming at this from a different angle. My 12 year old Porter Cable finally quit and I'm looking for a replacement. I have a sizable inventory of 5" 8 hole paper worth a couple hundred dollars. I was looking at Festool but am not willing to eat the inventory so I'll likely go with the DeWalt 5" ROS at around $80. I was looking for an excuse not to drop $430 on a Festool anyways. I'm sure it has more features, German engineering etc etc but $430?
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

I have the Festool and the Dewalt. There's no comparison between the two in my opinion. The Festool is just so much nicer. It's not 4 times nicer to match the price though. The biggest differences to me are the low center of gravity and the smoothness. My hands go numb using the DeWalt, but don't with the Festool.

Quote Originally Posted by scott vroom View Post
    I was looking for an excuse not to drop $430 on a Festool anyways. I'm sure it has more features, German engineering etc etc but $430?
    I made that investment in about 2005, give or take. Still works like new and I've only had to replace the pad twice in all that time. At any rate, my second choice if Mirka wasn't in the picture would be Bosch in this situation. Be sure you consider vibration characteristics if you sand a lot. That was what drove me to the higher quality tool originally...I got tired of "pins and needles" in my wrist while sanding...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Lester View Post
    I have the Festool and the Dewalt. There's no comparison between the two in my opinion. The Festool is just so much nicer. It's not 4 times nicer to match the price though. The biggest differences to me are the low center of gravity and the smoothness. My hands go numb using the DeWalt, but don't with the Festool.

+1 I had the same experience with Dewalt vs. Festool

I converted from an old Dewalt to Festool years ago and never regretted it. The improved dust collection alone would be worth it. However, I found the resulting surface and the lack of vibration were impressive. I find sanding time is a little less, there is virtually no dust, hardly any vibration, and the surface after sanding better (subjective judgement on the surface but . . . ). I'm just happier overall with the Festool sander. I, too, had a store of sandpaper for the Dewalt. I just sold it with the sander (at a loss of course) and moved on. I have never regretted it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I made that investment in about 2005, give or take. Still works like new and I've only had to replace the pad twice in all that time. At any rate, my second choice if Mirka wasn't in the picture would be Bosch in this situation. Be sure you consider vibration characteristics if you sand a lot. That was what drove me to the higher quality tool originally...I got tired of "pins and needles" in my wrist while sanding...
    I was considering Bosch until I noticed a number of reviews complaining that the sandpaper tended to fly off the disk. Was a common complaint across several websites.

I bought the Dewalt and used it on a cabinet job sanding 20 drawer fronts. I couldn't tell any difference in dust collection compared to my Festool 400. It does vibrate a bit more than the Festool but not enough to cause discomfort, for me anyway (for what it's worth, Dewalt claims "Separate counterweight design reduces vibration for improved comfort"). I'm sure the Festool is better built all around, but at the price point Dewalt is a good alternative...time will tell.
    Scott Vroom

Quote Originally Posted by scott vroom View Post
    I was considering Bosch until I noticed a number of reviews complaining that the sandpaper tended to fly off the disk. Was a common complaint across several websites.
    I have the Festool and the Bosch and I have not had any such issues with the Bosch using soft, medium or hard pads. Maybe its the paper they were using?

The mirka deros ros will take regular sanding disks as well as festool disks

Or get one from Mirca. Same manufacture but half price….

This seemed to get hijacked.

I too have way to many sanders from Festool. I have 4 of them. They are great, bulletproof and as enjoyable as possible (I mean we are talking sanding here)

My new foray is into the SurfPrep sanders.

There are some knockoffs, but generally the same. They are DC sanders and have unique features like sanding sponges for profiles and interference pads etc. They are amazing also. I use them as I get closer to finish , and to sand finishes.

I also have tried the new 3M mesh sandpaper on my Festools and I like the stuff. I am still in the testing phase...

PK
    PKwoodworking